Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8570W
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I purchased a mobile broadband module per factory spec for my laptop so I got the lt2522 Novatell broadband module. I did not have a sim yet but wanted to make sure the install and drivers were present and working before I ordered the sim. I installed the module without issue using factory antenna wires already present in the slot marked WWAN, I installed the drivers listed for my laptop on hp website (sp60048 Novatel Mobile Broadband 3.18.30.1) Driver installed without any issues and broadband module showed in device manager as "Enabled and working correctly" under each line of "Modems, Network Adapters, and Ports. I opened HP connection manager and the Module was powered on and it just said "No Sim" So I assumed that the Module install and driver install was completed and functional. I called Verizon and paid to have a Pre-activated Sim mailed to me.

2 days later I got the Sim, inserted it, opened HP connection manager and ever since all I can do is turn the power on and off to the module, but whenever the power is turned on it reads "disabled in device manager" which I know is not true, I have rechecked device manager a dozen times, removed and installed module and driver package multiple times. Even reinstalled module and drivers without Sim and it still says "disabled in device manager". I searched the net and here at HP for solutions/updates/information, and haven't really found anything helpful, just a couple noteworthy mentions of a BIOS issue since the laptop did not come with a WWAN module. I checked the BIOS settings and it shows WWAN enabled and even shows a small amount of module information like FCC ID.

Only thing I have noticed in device manager is that the PCI serial port is missing a driver but a little search of the net found no driver and a few places that stated this driver is not needed on Win7 operating systems due to hardware auto discovery and such.  downloaded 2 driver utility apps, but of course they claim I have 24 outdated or missing drivers, but as always they want me to pay for the software in order to update or install them so I uninstalled those apps. I contacted HP support by email and got a response today with a link to a driver package for lt2522. I looked at it and found that it was version  2.11.28.1 which I assumed was an older version but for the sake of anything possibly helping I tried to install it and got an error message that a newer version was already installed and I would need to uninstall that first before continuing. I exited out. Emailed tech support back with that information. Currently waiting for next response.....

......I use my laptop constantly while on the road and using the hotspot on my phone puts a lot of strain on the battery so I really want to get this working........I promise if someone can help me and provide the solution to my problem that's not ridiculous (like "get a new computer") I would be eternally grateful and would even send $20 money order, cash, ethereum, or bitcoin....your choice. I know there has to be someone far more intelligent than myself around here who will know how to fix this.......I'm begging, please help me....I've got $70 invested already not including the monthly data bill for a device that's not even working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Oddly enough the fix in my situation was very simple yet frustrating. After troubleshooting on my own and a lot of research nothing made sense and no solutions were found. One day as I was driving across the country I decided to stop at a corporate Verizon store in Oklahoma City.  I questioned them about the problem. The person looked at my account and asked why I had the SIM card listed on my account. I stated it was the SIM sent to me by Verizon. He responded saying that he wasn't sure why I was sent that SIM because it was outdated and may not work on the network properly.  He stated there was a newer SIM version available and just happened to have one in stock. He swapped out the SIM and reset my account to the new SIM, and it has worked great ever since that day. It connects quickly and works very well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with why the mobile broadband adapter isn't working (by all respects, it should be considering all the steps you took).

However, this is the driver you need for the PCI Serial Port...

This package provides the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The Intel Management Engine Interface enables communication between the host operating system and the Intel Management Engine firmware.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63661.exe

HP Recommended
Thanks, I knew it was a long shot and likely has no relation to my problem but it did solve the missing driver mystery so thanks.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It baffles me too!

The card is installed and was not rejected by the BIOS.

The driver installed and indicates it is working fine, and the WWAN card shows up in the device manager.

The device is enabled in the BIOS.

The HP connection manager sees it, and says it is disabled in the device manager.

Makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

HP Recommended

It happened to me once. But after I tried to reinstall the lt2522 driver, the problem was gone. Then I just have to configure the network profile which I dont know how to do that yet.

HP Recommended

Same issue for me, Mobile Broadband worked perfectly for two years, then all of a sudden it says "disabled by device manager"....but in Device Manager it is enabled.

Now I have to use my phone as a modem.

HP Recommended

Oddly enough the fix in my situation was very simple yet frustrating. After troubleshooting on my own and a lot of research nothing made sense and no solutions were found. One day as I was driving across the country I decided to stop at a corporate Verizon store in Oklahoma City.  I questioned them about the problem. The person looked at my account and asked why I had the SIM card listed on my account. I stated it was the SIM sent to me by Verizon. He responded saying that he wasn't sure why I was sent that SIM because it was outdated and may not work on the network properly.  He stated there was a newer SIM version available and just happened to have one in stock. He swapped out the SIM and reset my account to the new SIM, and it has worked great ever since that day. It connects quickly and works very well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.