Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I use the ethernet port on my laptop for my internet connection. Within the past few days for a reason I cannot determine, the connection will drop. It will be fine for a few moments, then stop completely, then connection with the yellow warning signal, then be fine. This will repeat continuously. My wifi connection works fine but I would like to go back to the ethernet to get full advantage of the speed of the connection.

I have tried to find a resolution with no luck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@KCGolffan 

If you are looking for a possible solution that involves the computer, check your Software and Drivers category in your computer's Website Support for any updates that might be related.  For example, there might be an update for your computer's LAN.

Still need help?  Want more information?  Search for solutions...

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic  > Subtopic

If the issue just started, it could be as simple as the computer needing updates (HP updates as mentioned) or perhaps your Windows Updates need attention.  There may be "half-installed" updates that are waiting for a Restart of the computer or there may be a need to "Check for Updates" to ensure whatever is available is indeed installed.

Settings > Update and Security > Windows Updates > Check for Updates

The problem might be a bad port on the router, a cable that needs to be replaced, or something else having to do with the network (and not directly related to the computer).  Log into your router to check available logs - most routers provide details on what is happening on the network, including failure to connect (or stay connected).  Check the hardware - try a different port, try a new Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable.  Try rebooting the router and everything else, too.  Sometimes it is just a matter of "starting fresh".

Might just be a "clog" in the works:

How Do I Flush My DNS Cache on Windows?

➡️[Procedure] How to flush your DNS & reset your TCP/IP

You can also check the Event Viewer and / or the Reliability Report on your computer for information about what the computer thinks about the dropped Ethernet / network connection.

If you have never used these tools, it can be a bit like fishing with a tea strainer.  Reading about the tools ahead of time can help you decide whether the effort is worth the type of results you need / expect.

Magic and skill > Event Viewer

Lesson 3: Using Event Viewer to Troubleshoot Problems

Event Viewer in Windows

How-To Geek > Lesson 3: Using Event Viewer to Troubleshoot Problems

How to Create Your Own Windows Event Log Notification System

Information at a glance > Reliability Report

How to use Windows 10’s Reliability Monitor to fix and fine-tune your PC

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@KCGolffan 

If you are looking for a possible solution that involves the computer, check your Software and Drivers category in your computer's Website Support for any updates that might be related.  For example, there might be an update for your computer's LAN.

Still need help?  Want more information?  Search for solutions...

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic  > Subtopic

If the issue just started, it could be as simple as the computer needing updates (HP updates as mentioned) or perhaps your Windows Updates need attention.  There may be "half-installed" updates that are waiting for a Restart of the computer or there may be a need to "Check for Updates" to ensure whatever is available is indeed installed.

Settings > Update and Security > Windows Updates > Check for Updates

The problem might be a bad port on the router, a cable that needs to be replaced, or something else having to do with the network (and not directly related to the computer).  Log into your router to check available logs - most routers provide details on what is happening on the network, including failure to connect (or stay connected).  Check the hardware - try a different port, try a new Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable.  Try rebooting the router and everything else, too.  Sometimes it is just a matter of "starting fresh".

Might just be a "clog" in the works:

How Do I Flush My DNS Cache on Windows?

➡️[Procedure] How to flush your DNS & reset your TCP/IP

You can also check the Event Viewer and / or the Reliability Report on your computer for information about what the computer thinks about the dropped Ethernet / network connection.

If you have never used these tools, it can be a bit like fishing with a tea strainer.  Reading about the tools ahead of time can help you decide whether the effort is worth the type of results you need / expect.

Magic and skill > Event Viewer

Lesson 3: Using Event Viewer to Troubleshoot Problems

Event Viewer in Windows

How-To Geek > Lesson 3: Using Event Viewer to Troubleshoot Problems

How to Create Your Own Windows Event Log Notification System

Information at a glance > Reliability Report

How to use Windows 10’s Reliability Monitor to fix and fine-tune your PC

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.