Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-dw0119nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought my new laptop and I'm trying to start a cable internet connection using an Ethernet cable, but the pc doesn' receive the connection, so I can't log on to the internet. I tried with different cables, with different sockets and I tried to reset the router, I fear the Ethernet port is broken. The Control Panneln say "Ethernet cable disconnected". 

Thank you

(I prefer Italian Language, but I can understand English)WP_20191010_13_10_34_Pro.jpgWP_20191010_13_11_17_Pro.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Its possible that the NIC driver is glitching so as not to detect link state changes(when the cable goes live vs being removed).  Happens to me alot as I connect and disconnect alot.  I would attempt to reinstall the NIC adapter.  In windows 10, got to settings, then network.  Towards the bottom of the page you should find "Network Reset".  That should reinstall the NIC driver and reset the network TCP/IP stack.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't think the ethernet port is broken since it's a new laptop. I see that the wifi connection is active. Have you tried to disable/turn off the wifi before plugging the ethernet cable? Sometimes the system doesn't like two network devices active. 

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Thank you Pepe999, I tried, but I didn't solve the problem. When I start the problem solving tool, at the end it say "there is a ethernet cable incorrectly connected or damaged

HP Recommended

Thank you Mocap, I didn't try yet, because I fear to cause some problems if I reinstall the NIC driver and reset the network TCP/IP stack, and I'm not an expert, so maybe I wouldn't understand the new problems.

HP Recommended

So long as you do this from the network reset option in the windows settings window, it will all be automated and should not cause any problems.  You click the button, windows does its thing in the background and then the computer reboots.  Hopefully after it starts back up your problem is gone. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.