Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
notebook 15r-132wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I go to Setting>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Network>Network Profile that was previously set to "Public" it has somehow always changed to "Private". How do I keep it on "Public"?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@partrickkmn,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You can use PowerShell command to change network settings from public to private: Run PS as administrator

1. Get-NetConnectionProfile and press Enter. Information is then shown about the active network connection.

2. Set-NetConnectionProfile -Name "NetworkName" -NetworkCategory Private. Replace NetworkName with the value of the Name field shared by the previous command.
    To double-check that the network location was changed, run the Get-NetConnectionProfile again and see the results. The NetworkCategory field should have a different value.

19724-2.png

1. You can open sharing options for different network profiles in Control Panel> Network and sharing center> Advanced sharing settings

19742-3.png

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

It seems you have misunderstood my question. My laptop changes itself to "private" after I set it to "public". What I want to know is, why does it change to "private" and how can I stop it from doing so and keep it "public"? It is my home laptop connected to the internet via an ethernet cable and I don't want to share any files or anything nor be visible to other computers. 

HP Recommended

Hi@partrickkmn,

`We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to be checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.