Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi guys, here is my question.

I recently swapped to a 300Mbps network, and I noticed that both my ethernet and wireless controllers (RealTek Semiconductor RTL8101/2/3 Family Fast Ethernet NIC   /    RealTek Semiconductor RTL8188E Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E Network Adapter) have a maximum link speed of 100/150 Mbps.
Can I buy a Gigabit Ethernet USB adapter (e.g. this one) to achieve a better performance?
Can I change my wifi controller with

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think the 300 mbps is the speed of the internet data connection to the outside, the WAN. I am going to assume the LAN side is gigabit ethernet and yes you can get close to that speed using a gigabit usb adapter. The gigabit usb adapter is going to allow internal (LAN) data transfers at somewhere between 5-10 times as fast as fast ethernet. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Yes if the 300 mbps router you installed is a gigabit ethernet device and every component in your network supports gigabit ethernet you can use a gigabit usb adapter. I use them in my office environment and find that the usb gigabit is about half as fast as ethernet that is built into the sytem but still way faster than fast (100 mbps) ethernet. We need the full model of the laptop to tell if you can upgrade the wifi.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

My laptop model is Hp 15-d002sl.
My router is a Vodafone Station Revolution. My network speed is max 300Mbps (fiber), so can I reach this speed (or, at least, something similar) with an usb adapter?

Thank you for the help.

HP Recommended

I think the 300 mbps is the speed of the internet data connection to the outside, the WAN. I am going to assume the LAN side is gigabit ethernet and yes you can get close to that speed using a gigabit usb adapter. The gigabit usb adapter is going to allow internal (LAN) data transfers at somewhere between 5-10 times as fast as fast ethernet. 

HP Recommended

Thank you. I'll try.
What about upgrading my wifi module?

HP Recommended

In the laptop? Yes you do not have a whitelist so can install any half-height mini-pcie wireless card. Do you need the Manual? Some more recent models are very difficult to disassemble to reach the wifi card.  

HP Recommended

No, thank you, as you can see it is easy to reach (image).

Instead, can you point me in the right direction about the new card? Do you think that this could be a good choice?

I really appreciate your help, thanks.

HP Recommended

Yes that is exactly what I would recommend. The best on the market. 

HP Recommended

Perfect, thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

Yes that is exactly what I would recommend. The best on the market. 

I'm sorry, just one more thing. Are you sure that I won't have any problem with my motherboard? I mean, is it fully compatible?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.