Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 655 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've recently reinstalled Windows 7 64x onto my HP 655 Notebook Laptop PC because Windows 10 kept slowing down my CPU, and since then I have been unable to connect to the internet via the wireless button on the F12 key.

The network symbol next to the clock in the lower right corner does not recognise any internet connection. The LED light on this button will not turn white and remains orange.

I get intermittent connectivity via the ethernet cable and error messages popup saying that the webpage is unsafe in any browser. Whenever I attempt to update the drivers I get an error message saying that there are no drivers.

Any advice or guidance on what to do?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Anytime.

You need to run all 3 of the exe files I posted to install the Wi-Fi adapter, sd card reader and ethernet controller.

You need to unzip and manually install the driver I attached for the smbus controller.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Go to the device manager.

Is there a device listed in the device manager labeled as a Network Controller?

If so, that is the wifi adapter that needs to have a driver installed.

If you see a Network Controller device, please post the hardware ID for it so I can figure out what driver it needs.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device...

How to Find Drivers for Unknown Devices in the Device Manager (howtogeek.com)

HP Recommended

Hi Paul_Tikkanen,

Thank you for replying.

Network Controller was under the subheading "Other devices", with three other devices listed alongside it (Ethernet Controller, PCI Device and SM Bus Controller, all of which have an icon with a triangular yellow exclamation sign next to each).

Following your instructions I see four values under Hardware Ids as follows:

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_1838103C&REV_01

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_1838103C

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&CC_0280.

I have no idea what any of these mean or which of these gives the information you're looking for. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You need to install these drivers for the devices that need them.

WiFi adapter...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70501-71000/sp70859.exe

PCI Device:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp80501-81000/sp80672.exe

SMBus Controller:  You have to manually install the driver that I zipped up and attached below.

To manually install the driver, download and unzip the driver I attached to its folder.

Do not do anything with the files in the folder.

Go to the device manager.  Click on the SMBus controller needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the 'Browse my computer for driver software' option and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul_Tikkanen.

This has changed the icon in the lower right corner to one that I recognise (signal bars with a red cross) .

The two drivers prior to the third zipped one actually continued through the installation wizard.

The only set of drivers left in the "Other Devices" subsection is Ethernet Controller. Do you have any idea where I can get the relevant ones from?

I've checked the Hardware Ids for the Ethernet Controller and the values are:

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_1085103C&REV_07

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_1805103C

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_0200.

If you can help with the remaining one then that would be awesome.

Thanks again. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You only needed to manually install the driver for the smbus controller.

The other 2 were exe files that were supposed to install the drivers automatically.

You need this driver for the ethernet controller...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp91001-91500/sp91410.exe 

HP Recommended

Sir, you are most kind!

You've actually lifted my day today.

If I'm following your last post correctly, all I would need to install are the zipped drivers and the Ethernet Connector drivers and I wouldn't actually need the first two drivers?

Many thanks.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

You need to run all 3 of the exe files I posted to install the Wi-Fi adapter, sd card reader and ethernet controller.

You need to unzip and manually install the driver I attached for the smbus controller.

HP Recommended

Gotcha!

Be blessed.

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.