Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

I have just done a clean install of windows 8.1 pro and I can see that my wireless driver is installed, I also went to intel.com to check to make sure I have the latest driver as well as hp.com.

However, I have soft touch buttons with lights at the top of my keyboard to control WiFi, and sound etc...

The sound touch options work fine, but the WiFi button is in Amber and wont change to blue. My wireless network adaptor is enabled on Windows.

Any idea why this button isn't working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

wwwoooooohhhhhooooo!!!!!

sussed it!

This was taken from the HP Wireless Assistence Help

All I needed to do was dissconnect the LAN cable! How stupid lol!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Using LAN/WLAN switching

LAN/WLAN switching (available on select models only) is a setting in the BIOS. The wireless LAN device is enabled unless the computer is connected by an integrated network interface card (NIC) to an active wired LAN. When the computer is connected to a wired LAN, the wireless network is turned off until the wired LAN is disconnected. This is called LAN/WLAN switching and is most useful if you switch back and forth regularly between a wired LAN and a wireless LAN. LAN/WLAN switching can be disabled using the Computer Setup utility.

NOTE:

This option does not apply to Bluetooth or WWAN.

To enable or disable LAN/WLAN switching:

1. Either turn on or restart the computer. 2. While the "Press f10 to enter setup" message is displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen, press f10 to enter the Computer Setup utility. 3. Use the arrow keys to navigate to System Configuration > Built-In Device Options > LAN/WLAN switching, and then to select Enable or Disable.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try the following driver for  HP Wireless Button

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63564.exe

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi:

You can try the long shot that this driver will work but it may not.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-123643-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

I had once installed W8 on my HP 6930p and for a while ( a couple of months) everything worked perfectly.

Then one day, I turned it on and my wireless light was amber.

I could not do anything to get the wireless to work and in the device manager, the Intel wlan card had completely disappeared from sight.

This led me to assume the card burned out.

Before I replaced the card, I decided to reinstall W7 and everything worked perfectly.

So, it was some kind of off the wall incompatiblity issue with W8 and my 6930p.

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying guys, but neither of those worked

got the message 

Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action InstallDriver_32, location: C:\...\WirelessButtonDriver.inf* /installdrv

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

In device manager it also shows 2x devices which arn't installed

One is "Base System Device" - No idea what this is

and the second shows as "Unknown Device"

I did install the latest chipset driver from intel.com and hp.com

so not sure what else it could be.

Is there not a way to remotly turn this on, like through a software?

HP Recommended

Hi:

You need to install these two drivers for those devices.

Base system:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=3688870&sp...

Unknown dev:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=3688870&sp...

The wireless issue IMO, is unsolvable--especially if the Intel Wireless Network Adapter is present under the network adapters category in the device manager.

One other long shot idea...Did you install the HP Wireless Assistant software and see if you could turn on the wlan card using that software?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your help, the wireless assistence didn't work unfortunently, however I did notice somthing interesting. When I turn the laptop on, the wireless light turns blue for a brief moment then back to amber. Is it possible that there is somthing in Win 8.1 that might force the wireless to become disabled? And if so, what?

HP Recommended

wwwoooooohhhhhooooo!!!!!

sussed it!

This was taken from the HP Wireless Assistence Help

All I needed to do was dissconnect the LAN cable! How stupid lol!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Using LAN/WLAN switching

LAN/WLAN switching (available on select models only) is a setting in the BIOS. The wireless LAN device is enabled unless the computer is connected by an integrated network interface card (NIC) to an active wired LAN. When the computer is connected to a wired LAN, the wireless network is turned off until the wired LAN is disconnected. This is called LAN/WLAN switching and is most useful if you switch back and forth regularly between a wired LAN and a wireless LAN. LAN/WLAN switching can be disabled using the Computer Setup utility.

NOTE:

This option does not apply to Bluetooth or WWAN.

To enable or disable LAN/WLAN switching:

1. Either turn on or restart the computer. 2. While the "Press f10 to enter setup" message is displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen, press f10 to enter the Computer Setup utility. 3. Use the arrow keys to navigate to System Configuration > Built-In Device Options > LAN/WLAN switching, and then to select Enable or Disable.

HP Recommended

Glad you figured it out.

I would have never had an ethernet cable connected to my notebook when installing drivers, so I would not have never thought of suggesting you disconnect the ethernet cable.

Yes, lan-wlan switching is enabled by default so anytime the ethernet cable is connected, the wlan card is off.

HP Recommended
How about for a laptop that is W7 cos mine is W7 but the wireless button is amber but volume button works fine. what do I do?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.