Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-ba138ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I have had my laptop for like a week and have been using my it as normal, connected to wifi without any problems. Yesterday my laptop randomly disconnects from the internet. The internet logo changed and now theres a computer and an ethernet cable and an X. When I troubleshoot it says to plug an ethernet cable into the computer but I have never used one of those. I disabled the Ethernet option but that has not solved anything. There is no other thing to connect to. 

When I go under network adapters they are all super weird ones such as WAN Miniport (IKEv2) and I have no clue what they mean. 

Should've bought a Mac :/.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Gboll12, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! 

I understand you have issues connecting to wireless from your laptop.

Don't worry I'm here to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Manually change network settings

Manually changing the network settings can resolve wireless connection issues. Create a restore point in Windows, and then manually change the network settings.
Using the search box on the taskbar, search for and open Create a restore point.
The System Properties window displays.
Click Create.
Type a name for the restore point, and then click Create.
Windows creates the restore point.
Using the search box on the taskbar, search for Command Prompt. In the results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
If a User Account Control screen displays asking if you want to allow the app to make changes to your computer, click Yes.

Type the following commands one at a time, pressing Enter after each one.
netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
To open the TCP Global Settings, type netsh int tcp show global in Command Prompt and then press Enter.
Make sure all settings are disabled except Receive-Side Scaling State.
Close Command Prompt, reboot the system and then try to connect to the Internet.

If the issue still persists try uninstalling the wireless drivers from device manager and install the latest drivers using HP support assistant.

Note: Before uninstalling the wireless drivers make sure you connect the ethernet cable to your PC and then uninstall the drivers.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Gboll12, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! 

I understand you have issues connecting to wireless from your laptop.

Don't worry I'm here to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Manually change network settings

Manually changing the network settings can resolve wireless connection issues. Create a restore point in Windows, and then manually change the network settings.
Using the search box on the taskbar, search for and open Create a restore point.
The System Properties window displays.
Click Create.
Type a name for the restore point, and then click Create.
Windows creates the restore point.
Using the search box on the taskbar, search for Command Prompt. In the results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
If a User Account Control screen displays asking if you want to allow the app to make changes to your computer, click Yes.

Type the following commands one at a time, pressing Enter after each one.
netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
To open the TCP Global Settings, type netsh int tcp show global in Command Prompt and then press Enter.
Make sure all settings are disabled except Receive-Side Scaling State.
Close Command Prompt, reboot the system and then try to connect to the Internet.

If the issue still persists try uninstalling the wireless drivers from device manager and install the latest drivers using HP support assistant.

Note: Before uninstalling the wireless drivers make sure you connect the ethernet cable to your PC and then uninstall the drivers.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was able to get the wireless to work! Thank you so much for your help! 

HP Recommended

Hi @Gboll12! You're welcome and thanks for the reply,

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take Care!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hey, thank you so much!!!!
I thought my laptop got a virus or something.. this had happened once before and I had to send it for repair.. wish I had searched the problem earlier and tried to fix it myself !
HP Recommended
Hi, I had the same problem again today after I switched on my laptop. No wireless connections available.

I did the exact same things you've written here which worked for me yesterday and it worked now as well.

But will I have to do this everytime I start my laptop? Isn't there a permanent solution?
HP Recommended

Thank you for the input. My laptop ended up having an unfixable defect so that was the issue and I had to get a new one.

HP Recommended
Hi, the “Chimney Offload state” and the “NetDMA state” are still enabled...how do I disable those
HP Recommended

Thank you!!!  The solution worked but I was just wondering what exactly I did.  Is there a chance I'll have to do this again?  Did I do anything harmful to my computer?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.