Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello BalloonOne29,

You’re having a problem with the internet running slow.

Sounds like you might need to update the driver.

Go to HP.com and update the driver for the wireless card.

Here is a link to the update. You'll need your product number.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

I'm having similar problems, and can't return it because I'm beyond Best Buy's return period.  When I went there yesterday they said the speed issue was my router. It's a Linksys WRT160N - don't know how old it is, but I do know that it gives me 15Mb/s download wireless on my old Dell laptop and 24Mb/s when wired.  The guy at Best Buy said Windows 8 basically didn't play nice with older routers and I should upgrade. 

I was on the phone w/ HP tech support - they walked me through reinstalling drivers for Qualcomm (shouldn't have been necessary, I'd think, since I bought the laptop in February).

So, does anyone think a router upgrade is the answer?  If so, what vendor/model would work with the Envy and my two Dells (one running XP, the other Windows 7)?

Thanks for your help - I'm just about ready to take a hammer to this stupid machine!!

HP Recommended

Hello FrankInPhilly,

I see that you are having problem with the wireless internet on your Windows 8 computer.

A router upgrade may be the answer to your problem. Compatibility issues with Windows 8 and most routers are able to be fixed with an update to the routers software. New routers won't need an update to the firmware and older routers may not have a firmware update.

Contacting your internet service provider or router manufacturer for firmware updates is a good idea. Most common brands of routers will work with all of your systems.

Also when using wireless internet security I would suggest using WPA instead of WEP. You will see these options on the box of the router if you purchase a new one.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

Thanks for the idea.  Turns out the router was, basically, too old.  I bought a Linksys EA2700 and my problematic Windows 8 laptop (HP Envy) immediately went to download of about 18Mb/s - a far cry from the <1Mb/s I was getting with the old router. 

HP Recommended

You're welcome,

Glad you were able to get your issue resolved, thanks for posting!!!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

I bought a new Envy back in April, and have been having slow internet issues every since I purchased. What should I do?

HP Recommended

Hi atomrattoe,

I understand that you have been experiencing slow internet for awhile now. To confirm is it always slow for the notebook? Are any other devices running slow as well? Have you made sure that all updates have been done through Windows Updates and the HP Support Assistant? I have included the document 'Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 7, Windows Vista)'.

I have also included the document 'Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection (Windows 7)'. Please follow through the steps in order for the best results.

If the above steps have failed to resolve the issue, please let me know the full model number of your notebook Find product and serial numbers for HP PCs, printers, and accessories | HP® Support, and the version of Windows that you are running Which version of Windows operating system am I running? - Microsoft Support.

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I also am having slow load time when using the internet on my HP Envy, E1P14AV that I bought over the holidays.  I tried looking at drivers for the card but I have no idea which one to choose.  What can I do to help this situation? I thought I bought the biggest and the best but my old HP, even with problems, is faster.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

Have this problem with two Envy desktops, it is IPV4 related. Spent two years looking for a solution.  There is not a system on my desktop, and there are many, including older, slower laptops, that cannot get 55MB/sec download. The Envy's will do that in IPV6 but not IPV4. They also cause large downloads to fail.

A possible cause may be the fact the ISP introduces a QOS of 8 in its packets. The Railink RT3290 can be set to ignore QOS but that causes other issues.

This does not appear to be OS related, I tried the same system with W7, 8.0 and 8.1, same issue.

Also tried an external USB network adapter, same issue.

OK HP experts, thoughts?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an HP Envy that I bought about two years ago (in2014) and I am having a a slow internet problem.

I got my university's IT to come and check the internet and he made a test and got internet speed of2-3Mbps on my laptop, compared to his laptop where he got 120-130Mbps at the same location. I was shocked to see this result.

It is really nerve wracking and I can't figure out what the problem is. I installed some drivers from this link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-15-j100-quad-edition-notebook-pc-series/6521...

I installed these drivers from the link above 

-Intel Wireless LAN Drivers

-Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver

-Realtek RTL8723BE/RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Drivers

My laptop's P/N "e1p05av"  I bought it in USA

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz

64bit operating system, x64-based processor

Win-10

Hardware Ids:

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&SUBSYS_197D103C&REV_01
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&SUBSYS_197D103C
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&CC_0280

Please help!

Regards,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.