Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I seem to be experiencing very high ping on my new HP Envy laptop. This severely impacts certain workloads such as gaming. When compared to other devices on the network, the ping can be up to 4 times higher on the HP laptop. For example, 12-15ms on other devices becomes 40-65ms on HP and 60-70ms becomes 100-150ms (and sometimes can spike even higher). The network speeds are perfectly fine (consistently 250Mbps+ on all devices).

I've tried updating all the drivers and running all the built-in hardware and diagnostic checks but have continued to experience this issue. Any suggestions are appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Alex-7

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are getting high pings when you play games. I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps. https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you continue facing the issue, then uninstall the wireless card driver from the device manager and then download and install it from the above link.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I have verified I have fully updated BIOS and all my drivers are up to date. I have also attempted to uninstall and reinstall my wireless driver (as well as a complete network reset) and I have the same result.

That being said, I believe I have found the culprit and it is none other then the preinstalled HP software itself, specifically HP Command Center. Upon startup, my computer auto-starts the process "HPCC.Bg.BackgroundApp" which is part of HP Command Center. Now if I run a speedtest (first image below), I get that very high ping. However, if I use task manager to force end that process and then immediately re-run the speedtest (second image below), my ping is normal. The speedtests also reveal it reduces network speed as well (although it's fast enough either way not to be noticeable in my situation). I've been doing this for the past few days and the results are consistent every single day. So it seems there is a bug in the software that is affecting the network connectivity.

Is there a way this bug can be reported and patched, since I'd rather not have to disable this process every time I start my computer (and it would actually be nice to be able to use some of the features inside the command center)?

Speedtest-With-HP.PNGSpeedtest-Without-HP.PNG

HP Recommended

@Alex

Thank you for posting back.

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.