Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Convertible x360 - 11-ab1XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, 

I'm not great at describing IT issues, but I'll try my best:

Over the last month or so, I've been struggling to get my laptop to connect to the wi-fi. This isn't an issue with my home wi-fi connection, as other devices in my home connect to it fine, and I also have this problem at work and uni. 

When I turn on my laptop or open it up from sleep mode, I find that the internet is completely disconnected, it won't even show me available wi-fi networks.

When troubleshooting the issue, it'll come up with an error message stating something like "The Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter Wifi-Adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems." 

I've searched Google and followed the HP support agent to find solutions. Here's what I've tried so far to fix the issue:

Running a network diagnosis via Google Chrome 

This is sometimes enough to get it to work.

Shut the laptop down> wait 5 seconds to turn it on> press f10 repeatedly to open BIOS> press f9 to reset default

For a while, this worked well, but it became inconvenient to turn on my laptop only to discover that the internet was not connected, forcing me to turn it off and go through the entire BIOS process. Also, I'm starting to think that the chances of this method actually working are decreasing.

Search for Device Manager> Network Adapters> Right Click on Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter> Properties> Advanced> Change 802.11n channel width for 2.4GHz from Auto to 20MHz Only> Change 802.11n channel width for 5.2GHz from Auto to 20HMz Only> OK

I thought that this actually fixed the problem as the internet was working fine for about a week. 

And then yesterday, the internet completely dropped out and I spent an hour trying to fix it using the above methods along with these:

Search for Device Manager> Network Adapters> Right Click on Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter> Properties> Driver> Roll Back Driver

Didn't work. 

Search for Device Manager> Network Adapters> Right Click on Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter> Properties> Driver> Uninstall Device> Uninstall> Action> Scan for hardware changes> Restart

Worked for a few minutes and dropped out again.

I gave up on trying to fix it yesterday and I tried again this morning with these methods: 

Press f12 to go onto airplane mode> wait 10 seconds> press f12 again

Didn't work.

Use the Network and Internet Troubleshooter (Windows 10)

Didn't work. 

Restart the computer

Yay! It finally worked! 

So now, the Wi-fi connection is working fine again. However, I'm concerned that it will drop out again, as it does any time it appears to be fixed. On some days, it functions perfectly, but on others, the internet is completely unavailable.

Is there anything else I can do to make sure that the issue is finally fixed permanently? Would I have to take my laptop somewhere to get repaired? 

I'm extremely frustrated because, despite the internet problem, the laptop is great for my needs. I purchased it in April 2020 and I don't have the means to buy a new laptop every year. 

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Final Update: 

Okay, so I've just finished talking to a HP agent via WhatsApp. They were really helpful and I think the problem is resolved! They told me that if it stops working, I can contact them again. For anyone else having the same problem, I recommend contacting HP through WhatsApp as they give you the drivers and information that is the most appropriate to your personal device. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

A bit of an update: 

The internet has been dropping out all evening. Luckily, troubleshooting in the Network and Internet settings seems to work to get the connection back, but it still disconnects after a few minutes.

HP Recommended

Another Update: 

The wi-fi completely disconnected. I followed all of the steps that the Virtual Agent gave me and downloaded another network driver on another computer and copied it onto a USB and installed it onto my laptop. It seems to be fixed...for now. If I don't get any responses on here, I will call support tomorrow morning.

HP Recommended

Final Update: 

Okay, so I've just finished talking to a HP agent via WhatsApp. They were really helpful and I think the problem is resolved! They told me that if it stops working, I can contact them again. For anyone else having the same problem, I recommend contacting HP through WhatsApp as they give you the drivers and information that is the most appropriate to your personal device. 

HP Recommended

You described the problem very well.  I too have used whatsapp and the telephone support.  All the same solutions been tried and after a couple of days goes back to the same problem.  Unlike you my laptop is only a few weeks old so it something inthe software updates that is not working properly.  Hope it does not come back again for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.