Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product Number:  P1818UA#ABA  Can I make use of 5ghz on my notebook?  How is this done?  My alarm  system requires 5ghz internet to access information it collects for remote viewing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

According to the product number of your notebook, you have a 15-AF152NR (TOUCH) (ENERGY STAR) model.

The Broadcom wifi adapter your notebook has, is a single band (2.4 GHz only) wifi adapter.

You should be able to upgrade to this dual band wifi adapter...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

The only place I have been able to find this model is on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

The card has the same throughput as the BCM43142 on the 2.4 GHz wifi band, but on the 5.0 GHz wifi band with an AC router, it has a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS.

On a dual band wireless N router, it would have a maximum throughput of 150 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band.

Most routers made today, broadcast on both the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz wifi bands simultaneously.

There are many brands to choose from in all different price ranges.

I have this model currently.  Works great.  There are newer models available, as this one is a few years old now.

https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT3200ACM/

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04653881

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

I cannot find any info on the product number you posted.

Please recheck the number or use this guide to find the model number/product number of your notebook.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

If you let me know what model wifi adapter your notebook comes with, I can let you know if it is a single or dual band wifi adapter.

You can find the model of the wifi adapter by going to the device manager, click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category, and there you will find the name and model number of the wireless network adapter.

HP Recommended

I think I misread the third character in the product number!  P1B08UA is correct, according to website on laptop sticker.  Web is www.hp.com/go/15hp87.  Series name listed: HP Notebook 15 and Sub Brand:"Essential"  Website Specs list it as Wireless; 802.11 b/g/n/ (1x1) and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo.  The device manager on computer lists:  Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi M.2 Adapter.  Driver date is 11-22-16,  Other info in expanded window for adapter says 20/40 MHz co-existent on first line.  Second line says  40 MHz intolerant.  This laptop stops working if I switch Arris radio signal to 5MHz on the Motorola website.  I had to use my telephone hotspot to get back on line to access the Motorola Arris website and change the signal back to 2.4MHz.  In a similar post, with another member,  you recommended getting a Realtek wireless card that works with one antenna but has a capability of processing both signals.  Do I need this type of card and can you direct me to the correct one if this is the case?  The alarm company salesman said I can not connect my alarm command panel to my home internet on the 2.4 signal.  This prevents me from accessing real time video on my telephone app when I am away from the house.  I do not want to buy a new laptop so I thought perhaps my laptop could be converted to the more advanced 5.0 radio signal.  Second option:  Are there certain routers that broadcast both signals at the same time so that various devices in the home can be used according to their own individual signal capacity?  If this is the case, what would I be looking for in a router.  Thanks again, Paul.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

According to the product number of your notebook, you have a 15-AF152NR (TOUCH) (ENERGY STAR) model.

The Broadcom wifi adapter your notebook has, is a single band (2.4 GHz only) wifi adapter.

You should be able to upgrade to this dual band wifi adapter...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

The only place I have been able to find this model is on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

The card has the same throughput as the BCM43142 on the 2.4 GHz wifi band, but on the 5.0 GHz wifi band with an AC router, it has a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS.

On a dual band wireless N router, it would have a maximum throughput of 150 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band.

Most routers made today, broadcast on both the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz wifi bands simultaneously.

There are many brands to choose from in all different price ranges.

I have this model currently.  Works great.  There are newer models available, as this one is a few years old now.

https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT3200ACM/

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04653881

HP Recommended

Thankyou, Paul for your assistance!  It appears the dual band router broadcasts both signals concurrently (2.4 and 5.0). It would allow me to use the current single-band card already in the Notebook, if I read you correctly.  The new alarm panel communicates on the 5.0 signal and the laptop continues to work on the 2-4 signal broadcast at the same time.  It sounds like the 5.0Mgz capable card can process more data than the N router will put through at one time on the 5.0 signal.  I must assume the dual band N router puts through a weaker 5.0 signal at 150Mbps.  The card you suggested also works with the AC router which has the signal strength of 433Mbps.  I assume my HP laptop only works with that N router at 150Mbps but the replacement card will work with both types of routers.  Will I be able to use the HP Notebook if I use my current N router and change the signal to 5.0 MHz on the Arris Motorola website if I install the dual band card?  Arris seems to broadcast one signal at a time.. My laptop does not receive a 2.4Mgz signal when I switch the signal at Motorola to 5.0Mhz so I assume the Arris router does not broadcast both signals at the same time.  Should I change out the card and used this 5.0 signal on the computer or leave it alone and look for the better N router you have suggested?  Does a 5.0Mgz signal give a better internet experience or should I continue to use the 2.4Mgz signal?  I use the laptop in a separate room.  Do I need the dual band card for the best experience?  Will this new router be capable of providing both signals and servicing both types of this electronic equipment at the same time?  Will my Notebook capabilities be greater if I convert to the 5.0Mgz?  Is the 2.4Mgz on the new router going to perform just as well as the 5.0Mgz signal if I keep the original card?  I would depend on the dual router signal to provide the 5.0Mgz for my alarm panel.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The card your notebook has in it right now can only work on the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

A dual band N router does not put out a weaker signal on the 5.0 GHz wifi band.

It just can't work at the faster AC speed.

The RTL8821CE wifi card will work on  the 5.0 GHz wifi band @ 433 MBPS with a dual band AC router, and @ 150 MBPS with a dual band N router.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.