Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp 15-g020ca
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello everyone!

It's been 4 months since I'm suffering from this issue.

My internet connection drops every 15 minutes and takes about 2-3 minutes to reconnect.

In the meantime the wifi  connection is still working and strong (5 bars).

I've tried all methods to solve this issue, dns  flush, dos, ip  address, driver update... I even connect my laptop to a usb wireless dongle to figure out if it is a hardware issue, but same result. I tried to connect to another wifi network but also the problem remains.

Strangely when I connect my computer to my phone internet data via wifi it works perfectly.

My phone, iPad are connected to my home's wifi  without any problem.

Any idea? Many thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
It's possible, if the malware origin file is on a different drive or partition then when the file is accessed the malware can reassert itself on the OS, unfortunately detecting malware is not 100% effective, that's why it's generally recommended to use multiple malware programs, I generally recommend malwarebytes first as that is one of the best, after that I also use spybot search and destroy
*****I do not work for HP*****
*****click the purple thumbs up button to say thanks*****
*****If I solved your problem, help others by clicking accept as solution*****

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended
I'd recommend checking the channel setting and wifi encryption on the router, try setting the channel to a static channel (6 and 11 are normally safe bets) and ensure that the key encryption is set to WPA2-PSK, not auto or both WPA and WPA2, if you are unsure how to adjust these settings then contact your ISP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.

The router is on the mentioned channel and encryption is WPA2.

As I mentioned in my previous message my laptop faces this issue with other wifi  netwworks even if it's connected in other

city, beside other devices works perfectly with this wifi network. 

Thanks.

HP Recommended
Those settings are common to multiple routers and often affect only 1 device on the network, it is strange that it connects fine on your phones hotspot

Which internet security program are you running?
HP Recommended
I used avira, then I switched to avast, I turned off the firewall as will to prevent any limitations. Doesn't help 😞
HP Recommended
Ok, need to do a bit of diagnosis then, when the error occurs again, need to try a ping test, if you right click on the start button and click the command prompt option that will bring up a command line, type in "ping www.google.co.uk" and let me know what it comes up with, you can also try loading the computer in safe mode, instructions for loading safe mode with networking in the link below

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/windows-8-safe-mode-with-networking/
HP Recommended

Well,

I pinged this site when the error accured and the result was: The ping request could not find the host for google.co.uk

Often the error message on the browser is:

This site can’t be reached

www.google.ca’s server DNS address could not be found.

Try:

• Checking the connection
  • Checking the proxy, firewall and DNS configuration

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Paradoxically I switched as you asked to safe mode and it works fine and fast!!!

HP Recommended
Sounds like there's some malware on your machine, stick to safe mode, download malwarebytes free version from malwarebytes.org and run a scan, should get you back up again
HP Recommended

Ok, thanks, I will, but I formatted my machine 2 times before in order to remove all malwares and viruses, should the format eliminate them?

HP Recommended
It should, when was the last format?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.