Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My mOdel of computer has this one button that makes the internet go on and off, F12. Usually it's white, which means the wifi is pushed to make the Internet on, tif you press it one more time it goes to a red orange color, which means the Internet is off,  it's stuck on off. What do I do.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @OfficialAnError,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC wherein the F12 key stuck on red orange color and hence the Internet is off.

This issue could occur if the network drivers are not updated or the wireless card could be defective.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

And here are a few steps to uninstall and reinstall the drivers from device manager:

1. Click Start, and enter Device Manager into the Search field. Click Device Manager.

2. Double-click the Network adapters category.

3. Right-click the name of the Network Adapter and select Uninstall.

4. On the "Confirm Device Uninstall" window, click OK.

5. When the network adapter software has been uninstalled, restart the computer. The computer will reinstall the device driver software.

6. After the computer restarts and completes the installation of the device driver software, try connecting to the Internet.

If the issue still persists, then I suggest that you run PC Hardware Diagnostics.

Use the following steps to open the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) to the main menu:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.
  3. The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.
  4. In the main menu, click component test.
  5. Then click on wireless module test.
  6. Select the Quick Test to perform a quick check of the hardware.
  7. Select the Extensive Test to perform a full check of the hardware. This test might take 2 or more hours to complete.
  8. While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for the component is shown on the screen.
  9. If component passed, exit from that screen.
  10. If the test fails, then you may need to contact HP Phone Support at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @OfficialAnError,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC wherein the F12 key stuck on red orange color and hence the Internet is off.

This issue could occur if the network drivers are not updated or the wireless card could be defective.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

And here are a few steps to uninstall and reinstall the drivers from device manager:

1. Click Start, and enter Device Manager into the Search field. Click Device Manager.

2. Double-click the Network adapters category.

3. Right-click the name of the Network Adapter and select Uninstall.

4. On the "Confirm Device Uninstall" window, click OK.

5. When the network adapter software has been uninstalled, restart the computer. The computer will reinstall the device driver software.

6. After the computer restarts and completes the installation of the device driver software, try connecting to the Internet.

If the issue still persists, then I suggest that you run PC Hardware Diagnostics.

Use the following steps to open the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) to the main menu:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.
  3. The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.
  4. In the main menu, click component test.
  5. Then click on wireless module test.
  6. Select the Quick Test to perform a quick check of the hardware.
  7. Select the Extensive Test to perform a full check of the hardware. This test might take 2 or more hours to complete.
  8. While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for the component is shown on the screen.
  9. If component passed, exit from that screen.
  10. If the test fails, then you may need to contact HP Phone Support at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.