Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 17-p047cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just installed a new Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 Triband router. I had upgraded to 400 Mbps with my ISP & they informed me the current modem I was using would have to be replaced b/c it was not capable of supporting that speed (not that it really even gets CLOSE to that speed). I had an underground cable replaced, as well cable that was above ground. When I had my Belkin Dual Band Router (for 13 years if you can believe that & it's still working perfectly but I am not using it for anything right now) both the 2.4Ghz & the 5Ghz bandwidth would show up as available network on my computer. I set up my router the same way, one SSID & passphrase for all 3-bandwidths, however, the only one that shows on my laptop is the 2.4Ghz. All three show up on my cell phone. My Wifi Adapter is a Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn. I tried updating the adapter but received a prompt that this was the appropriate adaptor. I have not checked with the Router manufacturer yet.  Is my Notebook even capable of running on the 5Ghz bandwidth? or will I have to get a different adapter? Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Cat:

Below is the link to the actual model wifi card (adapter) your notebook has.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HP-753077-001-Realtek-RTL8723BE-802-11bgn-BT-PCIe-Half-U98H121-01/23283...

Unfortunately as you can see, there is only one antenna connection on the card which means your notebook only has one antenna cable.

There aren't any dual band wifi cards of that form factor that will work properly with only one antenna.

Best to stick with the dual band USB wifi adapter you have.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Realtek RTL8723BE wifi adapter is a single band wifi card only.

It cannot connect to the 5.0 GHz wifi band.

Dual band wifi cards would require two antenna cables be connected to the wifi card, and yours most likely only has one.

Before I could suggest a dual band replacement, you would have to let me know how many antenna cables are connected to the Realtek wifi card.

Here is the link to the service manual...do not rely on the illustration to determine the true number of antenna cables connected to the RTL wifi card.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04777516

HP Recommended

Sorry, it has taken me so long to get back with you. I have started school and I have very little time to do anything else. I had forgotten that I asked two questions that were very significant to me, and this was one of them. I somehow figured out that the wife adapter had to have 2-antennas, and I think I read somewhere that mine only has one. What I find very strange, however, is when I had my old Belkin Dual Band Router (2.4GHz & 5GHz), my cell phone always chose the 5GHz bandwidth when connected to the wifi network at home. I also read that I  can replace the wifi adapter in my computer with one that has more than one antenna, and the last thing I remember was wondering if I could do that myself. For some reason, shortly after I asked this question, I felt that I might be able to do this myself. I will make sure my current adapter only has 1-antenna.  

Coincidentally, I was cleaning papers from my desk last night, and I just remembered that I had printed the Product Description for my HP Notebook and I am looking at now and it shows the following under the headings of Wireless and Internal Card Expansion (Directly after the Wireless heading)

Wireless: 

Compatible with Miracast-certified devices

Integrated Wireless options with single antenna (HMC/PCIe):

-Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter

-Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 M.2 Combo Adapter

-Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

-Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11 bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter        then underneath Wireless heading it shows:

Internal Card Expansion:

One half-size mini-card slot for WLAN.

I am not sure what all of that means, but I typed exactly the way it was written on the page. This information came from the Maintenance and Service Guide for my HP 17 Notebook, AMD models 17-p000-17-p199. My HP Notebook is a 17-p047cl (and that isn't shown anywhere on my laptop----I have to look up my device using the Product ID: M5RO5US#ABA---which I think is weird). This is the first laptop that doesn't have any discernible information on you can readily see on the device except HP Notebook, Essentially Exciting, Dual Core Processor, Fingerprint Resistant Cover, and HD+, 17.3" diagonal HD+ display.  I do however have the full book that came with the laptop. 

I hope providing you with all of this information tells you a little bit more about my wireless adapter and my device. As soon as I am done with my class which starts in 10 minutes, I will come back to the site and see if anyone has had time to look at it. I will also stay logged in so I can review any other replies. I think someone replied to my other question as well.

Regards, Cat

HP Recommended

BTW, all of this came preinstalled with Windows 10 Home.  Also, I hate to sound stupid, but I did  not know the wireless adapter was referred to as a "card."  I imagined it to be something resembling a flat rectangular-shaped object. (which can certainly be a card :)).

HP Recommended

I clicked on the link you provided, and this is exactly the same info that I have. If I can't count on the diagram (I think that is what you said), then how do I find out for certain how many antennas my adapter (or card) has?

HP Recommended

Hi, Cat:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HP-753077-001-Realtek-RTL8723BE-802-11bgn-BT-PCIe-Half-U98H121-01/23283...

Unfortunately as you can see, there is only one antenna connection on the card which means your notebook only has one antenna cable.

There aren't any dual band wifi cards of that form factor that will work properly with only one antenna.

HP Recommended

OK, I just ordered the little card and asked the seller a few questions. It appears that this is another wifi adapter (or card), and I am to put it in the slot on the side of my computer (like a USB device), and it will have to stay in all the time. Honestly, I do not care, as our phones will connect to the 5GHz bandwidth, but I guess I never noticed that my laptop never connected to the 5GHz bandwidth when I was using my Belkin Dual Router. Can you believe that I had the Belkin Router for at least 14-years and never had one single problem with it? I only bought this $300 Netgear R8000 because we switched our TV service from cable to Direct TV, and as soon as we did, the wifi would drop constantly. Turns out, that had nothing to do with the wifi dropping all the time. It was the crappy modem we were using from the Cable company, who we still have to use for our ISP provider. Oh well, it was probably time to retire the old girl. She is back in her box, and she still works fine. I have read a lot of options about what I can do with it. However, I recently started going to school online, which is really different from brick and mortar, so I do not have time to experiment with anything. I shouldn't even be taking the time to order these things I have needed to order for a long time. I thank you for your help, and I am going to assume that this will work. so I will mark this as a solution. Thanks again, I really appreciate your help. 

Regards,

Cat

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Cat.

But I think you completely misunderstood my reply.

I posted a picture of the very same card that is in your notebook now, so ordering that one is not going to give you dual band wifi.

There is no point in installing that wifi card because it is not going to let you connect to the 5.0 GHz wifi band, since it is the same model you have now.

Please re-read what I posted...

Please do not go through the trouble of taking your notebook apart to replace the wifi card with the same one you have now.

HP Recommended

Don't worry, about  10-minutes after I read your comment, I realized that I had misunderstood what you said. I immediately canceled my order but also mentioned to the guy who had that item and many other computer-related items available that I was in need of 4-items for which I did not have the time to devote to search. All 4-items are for different computers, a charger, and new batteries (I want an extra) for an older camera, and one other item that I can't recall. I had tried to find the computer battery myself, but there are tons of batteries that look exactly like mine, but of course, none of the numbers match any of the numbers on my battery. It is also very difficult to discern what those numbers mean on the battery, as there is a lot of writing in Chinese. I haven't checked back with him today as I've been extremely busy, but will check back with him tomorrow. I am sure he realized immediately after I sent him a message explaining some things that the wifi card was the one already in my computer.  If I can just clarify one more thing, so the antenna is not on the wifi adapter (or card), the antenna is somewhere else on my computer? Is that correct?  The only reason I ask is that you advised that I continue to use the dual-band adapter that I am currently using (I assumed dual-band meant 2-antennas, which is why I rarely assume anything).  So now I am confused. It appears as though it is not as simple as upgrading to a new wifi adapter. What will I ultimately need to do to get the full benefit of this new gigantic router I set up and installed that looks like it came from outer space, other than purchasing another laptop. Thanks again, Cat

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.