Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook Revolve 810
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I want to enable LAN/WLAN switching in our company. We have mutliple sites with local internet breakout which are connected to an Access Point where clients can connect to. 

We have several issues with notebooks connected to LAN & WLAN at the same time. I thought I could tackle this issue with the lan/wlan switching feature in the BIOS. I tested this on a Windows7 laptop and this works perfect.

I enabled this feature for 3 testusers all having a recent HP elitebook running Windows10. I received feedback from these users this LAN/WLAN Switching isn't working. They are still able to connect to wireless when the cable is inserted.

I suspect this is because of the Windows 10 OS.

Anyone having similar issues? I would love to use this built-in bios feature instead of using a 3rd party application to solve this issue. 

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi.

I'm having the same issue. We are currently testing Windows 10 in our organization, but I cannot find a way to get LAN/WLAN switching working. The setting is enabled in BIOS, and it works like a charm in Windows 7.

According to this article, http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03707130

Windows 8 and 8.1 has a built-in feature which delays the switching between LAN/WLAN with 40 seconds in order to not interrupt file transfers or other processes. Unfortunately this is not the subject in Windows 10. On my laptops the switching never happens on Windows 10. I have tested this on several HP laptops. (Elitebook 8560P, Elitebook 850 G1, Elitebook 850 G2, ProBook 640 G2)

We have also seen a lot of user issues due to the fact that they are connected to both LAN and WLAN at the same time.

I though that maybe installingthe HP Connection Manager would solve the issue, but it seems that the HP Connection Manager is not possible to install on Windows 10.

Is there any plans for fixing this, HP? Have someone found a workaround (eg. 3rd party software)?

HP Recommended
Any update on this? Same issue here.
HP Recommended

PLS, is there any Update? we have the same problem. if not we have to script some PS to realize the action

HP Recommended

I do have the same issues here with our Windows 10 laptops (Probook 6570b, Probook 650 G1-3, EliteBook 820 G1 & G2, EliteBook 850 G1-G3).

It would be VERY helpfull if the LAN/WLAN switch would start working again in Windows 10!

HP Recommended

I am having an issue with this feature myself on all of our EliteBook 840 G3's with Windows 10.  It is breaking our Cisco AnyConnect VPN connections.  This actually used to work for us very well in Windows 10 however with the latest WLAN Drivers and HP Hotkey Support software it no longer works.

When on a wireless network, and connecting to the VPN, the VPN network shows up as a wired network, so then Autoswitching kicks in and drops the wireless network, which then drops the VPN connection.  This didn't used to happen, and worked fine. 

I have gotten the run around from HP support so far.  My first experience was when i was asked to update the already up to date BIOS, and update the already up to date WLAN driver.  once that didn't work the technician told me to contact my internal IT and Cisco and that they would help me resolve this.  1.  I am the internal IT, 2. I already indicated that i worked with Cisco on this.  As soon as i requested an escalation the chat window coincidently disappeared, and the page stopped working. 

Then i called in for support to pick this back up.  I was then asked to install the latest HP Hotkey Support software 6.2.32.1.  Installed it an still the same issue.

I called support again today to get an update and i was told the following. 

"Windows 10 handles Auto Switching the LAN/WLAN, so you should disable it in the BIOS."

I know this is not true, but in order to give them time to come up with something else i agreed to "make that change and test it" and get off the phone with them.

If Windows 10 handles Auto Switching, then why is it that in the change log for HP Hotkey Support 6.2.32.1 does it say;

Fixes

- Enhances LAN/WLAN switching on a system that is running Windows 10.

Why is HP still engineering and messing with this solution if Windows 10 supposedly takes care of this?

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. We use Palo Alto GlobalProtect VPN.

When trying to connect to VPN while only on WiFi (Auto-switching enabled) it drops the WiFi connection and will never connect.

With auto-switching disabled, it works.

I've tried installing the hotkey posted above. Didn't help.

Same OS on two different models (840 G3 and ZBook 17 G3)

Version 1607, OS Build 14393.969

840 G3 with Windows 7, works normal with VPN and auto-switching.

HP Recommended

Hello,

We are facing to the same kind of issue with PC model HP 820/840 G3 and Windows 10 Enterprise version 1607 in our company. No issue detected with Windows 7.

When we are connected to a Wireless HotSpot and starting VPN, then Wireless connection is dropped and VPN authentication failed.  With LAN/WLAN option disabled from the Bios, we have not the issue.

Setting the Windows Connection Manager from policy editor neither fix the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2919900/windows-connection-manager-disconnects-wlan-if-a-vp...

Can we have help or feedback from HP?

Best regards

HP Recommended

Hello,

This is to inform you that we solved our problem we had with the Wireless connection drop when we use Cisco VPN client 4.3 on PC model HP 820 G3/ HP 840 G3 PC and Windows 10,  and the LAN/WLAN Auto Switching feature enabled in Bios.

After installation of the HP Hotkey Support 6.2.36.1 Rev.A which has been released in April 2017, our Cisco VPN client is now working fine on Windows 10 and with the Bios feature LAN/WLAN enabled.

HP Hotkey Support 6.2.36.1:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79501-80000/sp79765.exe

Description:
This package provides HP Hotkey support for special function keys on supported models that are running a supported operating system.
Fix and enhancements:
- Enhances HP LAN-Wireless Protection on systems running Windows 10.

Hope it will help people whom face to the same issue.

HP Recommended

This is a life-saver thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.