Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I tried to do this with every device the laptop has under network adapters, but with each device it says that the best driver software is already installed. Also, there is no device under network adapters called "Realtek  RTL8723BE," the only devices there are:

• Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
  • Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
  • Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
HP Recommended

Are there any unknown devices listed?  You see a "yellow !" or triangle anywhere?

Also, at the top of the device manager select the "Show hidden device"

If you really want to use the laptop you might want to upgrade to the

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter (non vPRO) 784644-005

and add a second antenna since it is 2x2

Our senior expert @Paul_Tikkanen might be able to recommend  other WiFi adapters.  On the other hand you can get a usb2 WiFi adapter. Any of these will work even the ones that do not have an antenna will work. 

Are you running windows 10 or 8?  If running 8 maybe the old WiFI driver from 2015 is better than the one from 2019

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70501-71000/sp70909.exe

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

@danielboo2008 

If your notebook's device manager still has a Network Controller device listed in the device manager, then that is the Wi-Fi card in need of a driver.

Since the Realtek Wi-Fi driver did not install and the parts list indicated that's what model HP installed, the only other thing it could be is that HP substituted the RTL8723BE Wi-Fi card with the equivalent model--the Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 M.2 Combo Adapter.

If you are running W8.1 on your notebook, you need this driver for the Wi-Fi adapter:

Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver and Utility

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66447.exe

You would also need the Bluetooth driver for the Broadcom card.

Broadcom Bluetooth Driver

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70501-71000/sp70725.exe

Now, if in the unlikely event the above drivers don't resolve the problem, all you need to do is to post the hardware ID for the Network Controller device so I can identify exactly what model Wi-Fi adapter HP installed in your notebook.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device, which in this case is the Network Controller:

How to Find Drivers for Unknown Devices in the Device Manager (howtogeek.com)

HP Recommended

@BeemerBiker

Under other devices in device manager, there is a network controller that has a yellow exclamation mark on its icon. Also, after selecting to show hidden devices, it revealed:

• Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
  • A second Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
  • A second Network Controller, this one without a yellow exclamation mark

@Paul_Tikkanen

The Broadcom Bluetooth Driver (sp70725) says that it installed properly onto the laptop, but the Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver (sp66447) seems to be running into trouble. For some reason, InstallShield Wizard looks like it loads for a few seconds and then just closes, without ever even displaying the menu. I have tried installing it multiple times, restarting the laptop, and running InstallShield by opening it from the downloaded folder, but this has all lead to the same outcome.

HP Recommended

See if this works:

Go to the device manager.

Click on the Network Controller needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.

Click on Update driver.

Select the 'Browse my computer for drivers' option and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp66447.

Make sure that the Include subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

HP Recommended

After trying this multiple times on the two network controllers on my device, each time it says that Windows was unable to install the Network Controller.

I meant to add this in the previous post, but the hardware IDs for the network controllers are:

• PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&SUBSYS_804C103C&REV_00
  • PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&SUBSYS_804C103C
  • PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&CC_028000
  • PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&CC_0280

Both network controllers on my device have the same list.

Also, here are the device statuses for the network controllers in case they are helpful:

• Network controller with yellow exclamation mark: "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28) There are no compatible drivers for this device. To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."
  • Hidden network controller: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."
HP Recommended

That is the Realtek RTL8723BE Wi-Fi card.

Try this W8.1 driver for it:

Realtek RTL8xxx Series Wireless LAN Drivers

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp91501-92000/sp91514.exe

You will need the Realtek Bluetooth driver too:

Realtek RTL8xxx Series Bluetooth Driver

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98001-98500/sp98266.exe 

The reason the Realtek sp96885 driver that BeemerBiker gave you didn't work is because that driver was only supported for W10.

HP Recommended

It looks like installing this has finally gotten everything working right. Thank you both for all of the help you've been able to provide.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Glad to have been of assistance. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.