Did you mean: 
Reeb1
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Laptop won’t detect home WiFi but detects neighbours

HP Recommended
Pavilion g6 notebook pc

Hi, I’m hoping someone can give me advice.

Occasionally, about once every fortnight/month when I switch my notebook on it does not detect my WiFi but will detect my neighbour’s. The WiFi works fine and has no issues connecting on any other device. The problem is becoming more frequent.
I have followed all the steps here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/10741/windows-fix-network-connection-issues#network-problem... apart from the last one, as it’s written as if a network reset is a last resort. None of these have worked.

The only thing that fixes this is to switch the WiFi off and on at the modem, however this is not possible every time due to other people’s connections.

I’ve tried to contact HP support but it says they are unavailable, with no guidance on operating times. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2 REPLIES 2
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
92,618 92,496 11,971 25,526
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Reeb1 

Pavilion G6 is an old series of many machines. It probably ONLY supports 2.4GHz networks. You can have a quick fix: allow your wifi router to broadcast dual bands (2,4GHz and 5.0GHz) your machine can pick up and you can connect.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Reeb1
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Banhein,

Thanks so much for your response. I’ve taken the steps you’ve advised and unfortunately my router is already set to broadcasting 2.4GHz. Do you know what my next steps to try would be?

Thanks again for your support 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation