Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 3540 e All in one
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Since changing the printer to WiFi connection on our LAN ( from USB cable to my wife's Windows machine ) the Mac book doesn't 'see' the printer usingi HP Easy Scan ( which it did before the change ) or Apple Image Capture .

However I am still able to print using the Macbook Pro as in the past connecting via my LAN network. 

Any Suggestions ?

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@Patprinter1, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Once launching HP Easy Scan ensure there is no alert mark near the listed scanner name.

If there is such click the Presets menu and press on Browse Scanners, then select your printer and try scanning again.

If the same remains try the following:

From your Applications folder or its HP subfolder delete any existing HP Scan or HP Easy Scan application, delete it by moving it to trash, then empty the trash.

Next, install the latest HP Easy Scan below, it will be installed within the Applications folder:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-easy-scan-1_...

Finally, ensure your drivers are up to date by clicking the Apple icon, select About this Mac and then press Software Update.
Click Store on the top menu bar, click Reload Page, click Update All if any updates are available.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Performed all suggested steps but unfortunately did not solve the problem ,  The fact that both HP Easy Scan & Apple Image Capture show that there are no devices attached  suggests that the problem is not  a Easy Scan software problem but a WiFi communication problem , but what I don't understand then is why I'm still able to print via WiFi.

HELP ! 

HP Recommended

@Patprinter1

To be able to assist you better, I would like to know the following:

• Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
  • What is the distance between the router and the printer?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. 

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi TEJ1602,  Answers to yr questions as follows :

My Router is both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz

The distance between Router & printer is 30cm

My Anti virus software is ESET vers,6.7.900.0 

Ping test & Wi Fi Status enclosed

Fi StatuWiFi status 2019-08-06 at 08.59.53.jpgPing  2019-08-06 at 09.08.09.jpg

My Service provider confirms that my router is Bonjour compliant !

Thank You !

HP Recommended

@Patprinter1

Thanks for replying. The connectivity seems to be fine.

To isolate the issue further, try using HP Smart App to scan. Refer to the document HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Mac) for help.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi TEJ1602 , I tried using HP Smart the following error msg  appears on the screen :

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_2.png

I have checked & Bonjour has been enabled on the printer , am at aloss as to what to try next !

Thanks , Pat

HP Recommended

@Patprinter1

I would suggest you disable your security software temporarily to isolate the issue.

Ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign, and then delete the printer.

Select printer and click the minus sign

Click the Plus sign, and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print and scan.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I checked - Printer & MacBook software are both up to date.

I removed the printer using System Preferences.

However No printers are available to select one to add

The message shown is Press + sign to set up a printer ( see attachment ) 

The next window ( see attachment ) allows one to search for a printer , but finds none at all 

The only way to install the printer is via Set up a printer & entering the IP address  (see attachment)

The HP printer is then successfully installed ( see attachment) & the Mac Book will print to it but not scan !

Print screen 12 Aug. 07h02.jpgPrint screen 12 Aug. 07h05.jpgPrint screen 12 Aug. 07h08.jpg

HP Recommended

UpDate : After some Internet research It appears that Apple requires Ipv6 to be set to 'Link-Local only' not Automatic for Bonjour to be active. This is in Network in System Preferences.  

I have done so , I then set up a new 'Bonjour ' device and now HP Easy scan can 'see' the printer as a new Scanner.

However I now get an error message communicating with the scanner.

( see attachments )Printer now visible as a Scanner.jpgScanner error msg 9923.jpgScanner error msg 1.jpgIPV6 Automatic.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.