Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-4105dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Probably 3-4 times each hour for the past few weeks my laptop suddenly loses its internet connection. Each time I run the Windows networking troubleshooter and after its 30-45 second scan the response is always "the default gateway is not available." Then it resets itself and I get my connection back. Until a short time later and the cycle repeats.

Unfortunately I am unable to pin down any specific activity that causes this. There is no consistency for when or how frequently it happens. I may go 30 minutes with no issues then experience this three times in 10 minutes. To the best of my knowledge there were no software changes or updates that immediately caused this to start happening.

My networking driver is the Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7265 version 19.51.23.1. I'm fairly certain this is the most current version of the driver. I'm also fairly certain this is a device issue, not a network issue, as I've reset my modem and router numerous times to no avail, and we have multiple other devices connected to the network that do not experience outages.

I've troubleshooted everything I can find:

- I run the HP Support Assistant daily for updates, and its Network Check has not revealed anything either (I have not yet run HP's Network Check rather than the Windows networking troubleshooter at the time the connection is lost.)

- I run the Intel Driver and Support Assistant daily as well.

- I have gone into the Device Manager and: 1) attempted to update the driver this way, and 2) made sure that the laptop is not able to turn off my networking adapter to save power.

- I've done everything outlined on this troubleshooting page, : https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04649175

- Per this web page (https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06282875) I've also uninstalled the driver, allowed it to reinstall, then rebooted. I have not yet adjusted settings via the Command Prompt because most of my Command Prompt settings are different from those on that web page and I thought it best to leave them.

Any help is appreciated. If I can answer further questions, I will.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29082/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

The latest driver is 19.51.24.3 but HP probably didn't update it on the support website. I'd probably get rid of the HP Support Assistant and install proprietary drivers from the Intel website. HP Support Assistant is more or less useless because Windows can detect driver/system/software updates itself and doesn't need some special application for it. As a linux user I don't use Windows anymore but keep the system installed. Back in the day the HP Support Assistant was the first application I got rid of after purchasing a laptop and then installed the latest hw drivers from Intel, Realtek, Broadcom, nVidia, etc because it wouldn't let me install the latest drivers but only the latest HP drivers. Never had a wifi connectivity issue on any of the Intel wifi chips currently with AC-7260. 

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JTrice77

Let's follow the below steps.

Step 1: Remove any and all McAfee programs that you have

If you have any McAfee security programs whatsoever, go to Control Panel Programs Programs and Features and completely uninstall them. OR go directly to the Add & Remove Programs by Holding Windows Key and Pressing R, simultaneously, and typing appwiz.cpl in the run dialog.

If this solution works, you can go ahead and install alternatives to the McAfee programs that you deleted, but remember to steer clear of any and all McAfee products. If this solution doesn’t work, however, simply try the next one. Once the issue is resolved, you can re-install your anti-virus product.

Step 2: Disable the Auto Logon feature

Many Windows 10 users reported the “Default gateway is not available” issue having a connection with, for reasons only the Big Guy in the sky knows, the auto logon feature that Microsoft introduced with Windows 8. The auto logon feature, as soon as their computer starts, logs the user onto the user account that was being used when the computer was shut down. There is no clear and straightforward set of instructions that you can use to disable the auto logon feature, but simply assigning a password to all of the accounts on your computer will keep the auto logon feature at bay and prevent it from being activated. If you’re scared of forgetting your password(s), simply make sure that the passwords you create are extremely simple and easy to remember, and you can even opt to create hints for your passwords. It should even be easier if you switch to a Microsoft Account instead of a Local Account because that will allow you to reset password easily using your e-mail address if it’s forgotten.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi,

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29082/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

The latest driver is 19.51.24.3 but HP probably didn't update it on the support website. I'd probably get rid of the HP Support Assistant and install proprietary drivers from the Intel website. HP Support Assistant is more or less useless because Windows can detect driver/system/software updates itself and doesn't need some special application for it. As a linux user I don't use Windows anymore but keep the system installed. Back in the day the HP Support Assistant was the first application I got rid of after purchasing a laptop and then installed the latest hw drivers from Intel, Realtek, Broadcom, nVidia, etc because it wouldn't let me install the latest drivers but only the latest HP drivers. Never had a wifi connectivity issue on any of the Intel wifi chips currently with AC-7260. 

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Thank you @Pepe999 and @Raj1788

To Raj's post, I use no McAfee products and I use a Microsoft account requiring me to log in with a PIN each time I use the laptop.

Pepe, I am aware of this new Intel wireless driver, as I downloaded and installed it two days ago.

I had already noticed that my wifi "default gateway not available" problem had mostly, if not entirely ceased after Patch Tuesday, but after only one day I was not ready to declare it solved. But three days after Patch Tuesday and two days after this new Intel driver came out, it seems to have stopped for good. And not a moment too soon.

HP Recommended

Well done and you are welcome!!

Just in case this issue comes back it could be more OS related than the driver or perhaps a buggy firmware in the wireless card. They don't update them as they used to and the application for that also disappeared. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.