Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Yesterday, my laptop was working super fine, but then it suddenly stopped connecting to the wifi connection. I didn't mind it that time because I assumed that the network was just having a problem. But then, come nighttime, I panicked because it won't still connect. the wifi connection was working fine because my friend's laptop is connected to it and so can my phone. I restarted my laptop and did troubleshoot countless of times but nothing happened. I tried to search for possible solutions but noting worked. I'm on the verge of tears because I'm doing my undergraduate thesis and I can't just have a defective latop right now.

PLEASE I NEED HELP. Can someone teach me how to fix this?

My laptop model is: g6‒1d46dx

Produc number is: A6Z74UA#ABA

Serial: [Edited for Personal Information]

If it helps, my laptop is running on windows 7, 64‒bit

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @renalexis01 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're having issues with wireless connectivity on your notebook.

Could you please provide a little more info about the issue? Is the wireless adapter not finding any networks or does it see them but it unable to connect? Is it able to connect but says limited connectivity? The more information you can provide the better.

Aside from more details about the issue it would help to know which wireless adapter is in your notebook. You can find this in Device Manager under Network adapters. To open Device Manager press Windows Key + R, type devmgmt.msc and click OK. If the adapter is not listed click Show at the top and click Show hidden devices. Expand Other devices (if it's there) for any Unknown devices or something generic like Network adapter. Right click on these unknown devices and select Properties. Click the Details tab and change the drop down to Hardware IDs. Post the IDs in a reply here.

Keep in mind that if one device is working on your network, it does not mean that a setting on the network couldn't be a possibility. Devices all communicate differently so without testing another network it is impossible to rule out your network as a potential source of the problem.

Because you mentioned you need this fixed ASAP here's a list of things to try while I wait for more details on the issue.

Start by going through these documents:
Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 😎
Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection (Windows 7)

Powercycle the network:
1. Shut down your notebook.
2. Unplug the power to your router.
3. Unplug the power to your modem.
4. Wait at least 45 seconds.
5. Plug in the modem, and wait for it to come back online.
6. Plug in the router, and wait for it to come back online.
7. Turn on your notebook, and test your connection.

Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Flush the DNS:

1. Go to your start menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "ipconfig /flushdns" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Test.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:
1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.
2. Go to your start menu and type Device Manager.
3. Expand Network adapters.
4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.
6. Restart your PC and test.

Test an ethernet connection:
Self explanatory. Test if the issue persists on a wired connection to rule out the wireless adapter hardware so troubleshooting can be directed towards the right areas.

Test another connection:
Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

Reseat the wireless adapter:

Page 47 - HP Pavilion G6 Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide.

If those three steps do not resolve the issue, try this document published by Microsoft for networking issues: Wired and wireless network problems. You can change the operating system with the dropdown in the upper-right corner of the document.

Let me know if any of this helps or more details about the issue and which adapter you have. Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Same problem after I let my laptop's battery get too low although unknown if that power issue is related. I did uncheck the saving box though.. It would not even highlight "wifi" so that I could get into it under "network and Internet".  I could see it in device manager & was working ,-)  The adapter and wifi capabilities were like a ghost, not even detecting any wifi although it said adapter was working upon first troubleshooting.  

SOLUTION  twice now is to reset windsock catalogue. Just restarting and all other in above solutions did not work until that step, then, wah lay . Luckily did not have to un and reinstall!

Thank you, Great-Deku-Tree, support agent! Now I have a great run through because I've had other problems with the wifi adapter on this HP Envy. Don't let battery run down, don't go back and forth too much between tablet, laptop, lid closing.  

Bookmarked this😘

HP envy. Windows 10 , Intel dual and wirelessAC72 60 adapter 

HP Recommended
Was so frustrated by a similar problem. I live in hostel and only router which is near my room was not detecting in my laptop. Thnx a lot man...
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.