Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion X360 Pentium 320GB

Hi i use my laptop almost every day as i am a student and am almost always on the internet at home and at school. When i go to school i have always had to turn my proxy settings on to use the internet then turn them off again to use the internet at home. But recently my laptop will not conect to either the school internet or my home. What happens is the internet comes up and i click connect after a minute of loading it says no internet but connected. this is become a very big issue and i need it to fix but i dont know how to PLEASE HELP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you are unable to connect to the internet through wired or wireless connections. 

Chances are drivers are not an issue considering you have tried two different connections. Just to be safe, it would not hurt to update the drivers for both cards. Without the exact model or product numbers I cannot link the downloads for you. For information on finding your product and model numbers click here: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Here are some other steps you can try. 

Test another device. Just to be safe can you confirm for me if other devices are able to connect to the network?

Powercycle the network:

1. Shut down your notebook.

2. Unplug the power to your router.

3. Unplug the power to your modem.

4. Wait at least 45 seconds.

5. Plug in the modem, and wait for it to come back online.

6. Plug in the router, and wait for it to come back online.

7. Turn on your notebook, and test your connection.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:

1. Go to your start screen and type CMD.

2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator at the bottom of your screen.

3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.

4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:

2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator at the bottom of your screen.

3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.

You may also wish to check the router settings and confirm MAC filtering is not enabled. 

Let me know if this information helps.

Thanks.

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****

****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you are unable to connect to the internet through wired or wireless connections. 

Chances are drivers are not an issue considering you have tried two different connections. Just to be safe, it would not hurt to update the drivers for both cards. Without the exact model or product numbers I cannot link the downloads for you. For information on finding your product and model numbers click here: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Here are some other steps you can try. 

Test another device. Just to be safe can you confirm for me if other devices are able to connect to the network?

Powercycle the network:

1. Shut down your notebook.

2. Unplug the power to your router.

3. Unplug the power to your modem.

4. Wait at least 45 seconds.

5. Plug in the modem, and wait for it to come back online.

6. Plug in the router, and wait for it to come back online.

7. Turn on your notebook, and test your connection.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:

3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:

3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.

You may also wish to check the router settings and confirm MAC filtering is not enabled. 

Let me know if this information helps.

Thanks.

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****

****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended
Thank you so much for this it fixed the problem i am very grateful.
HP Recommended

You are most welcome.  It's my pleasure to serve you and provide solutions. 

Thanks.

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.