Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-n013ca Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

After trying the following with my wifi network, my HP Pavilion has been unable to even detect my home wireless signal and am looking to replace the wireless adapter:

-factory reset of modem/router

-update network adapter

-uninstall/reinstall network adapter (followed by computer restart)

-turning off smart steering and enabling 2.4 GHz frequency on modem

-changing channel on wifi

I've done some reading on it and feel that the wireless card, a Ralink RT3290 802.11 bgn, may need replacing. Although I've been able to ping it without issue, I am unable to see my home network, either 2.4 GHZ or 5 GHZ; I'm able to see neighbours' networks, but not my own, even if I'm sitting right beside it.

Can someone help me out with further troubleshooting, or recommend how to replace the card?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn wifi adapter is known to have problems with the latest builds of W10.

The driver is 5 years old and only worked for the first couple of releases of W10.

If your notebook has two antenna cables connected to the Ralink wifi card in there now, I recommend you replace/upgrade the card with this model...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

You can find the card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

Below is the link to the service manual where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04439615

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn wifi adapter is known to have problems with the latest builds of W10.

The driver is 5 years old and only worked for the first couple of releases of W10.

If your notebook has two antenna cables connected to the Ralink wifi card in there now, I recommend you replace/upgrade the card with this model...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

You can find the card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

Below is the link to the service manual where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04439615

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I'd come across your posts on a few other threads related to this, so I was happy to see you weigh in, and very quickly too. I've confirmed that the card does have 2 antennas, and will be ordering the part # you've recommended.

Thanks very much, will let you know how things go.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Looking forward to reading the results of your wifi card upgrade.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks again for your help. I received the card today from Amazon; install was quick and easy, and I'm now browsing the internet again on my HP... With an added bonus of using the Bluetooth component of the card to listen to through my soundbar.

Have a great weekend!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance, and thanks for letting us know how your wifi card upgrade project went.

You have a great weekend too!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.