Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ57-420SC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello guys, I have one older laptop Compaq Presario CQ57-420SC. My problem is that with wifi my speed is max. 72mbit/s and LAN speed is 100mbit/s. Recently we installed new 1gbit fiber, and I need to use maximum of it on this PC. Please give me any advice of compatible hardware. I am not sure if I can use any Intel Wifi card such as "MiniPC-E Intel AC3160 WiFi 802.11b/g/n/ac 2,4GHz + 5GHz + Bluetooth 4.0 miniPCI-E" or "intel wireless-ac 9260 " or I should use some USB 3.0 external RJ45, but I have only 3x USB 2.0. Thanks of any kind of  help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since your model has a BIOS whitelist, which prevents the installation of any other wifi adapter than what is installed in your notebook now, and the ethernet adapter is an integral part of the motherboard, your only options would be to purchase an external USB dual band AC wifi adapter or USB to RJ-45 ethernet adapter.

Since your model notebook does not have USB 3 ports, you will not get the maximum connection speed from a USB 3.0 gigabit ethernet adapter.

I assume you will get more than 100 MB/S, but I don't know how much more.

HP Recommended

Hello, so I have bought an external RJ45 gbe adapter - https://www.axagon.eu/en/produkty/ade-sr - but no matter in which usb port I plug it, it won't go faster than +-6 MB/s, servers are fine, tried with other device. I also tried to check copying speed with flash disc, and it reached atleast 40 MB/s. I don't know where is the problem 😞

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know why the download speed is that slow either.

It should have been connecting at 100 MB/S at least.

What does the actual connection speed show, not the download speed?

To see the actual connection speed, go to the Windows control panel, network and internet, Network and Sharing Center.

Under the View your active network section, click on the USB ethernet connection and it will show you the actual connection speed there.

HP Recommended

Speed of connection says 1gbit/s, but on actual test file dowloading it was 5-6 MB/s. Then tried on PC and 5ghz phone, and it was about 50 MB/s

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with that problem.

The adapter is connecting at its advertised speed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.