Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
NOTEBOOK N8L58PA#ABG
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Network Adapter keeps turning on and off. Wasn't sure why it was so difficult to update Windows and sometimes other updates. For Windows updates it's almost impossible and what should take a shorter time ends up taking several hours or just doesn't download. I opened the Windows Firewll window from the control panel and saw several network connections working together. It keeps changing and adds more connections then it switches off again and momentarily shows one connection and then a second later it shows many connections. All this happens in seconds and doesn't allow me a steady connection which is why it's impossible to update anything in windows 10. When it stays steady it works normally but it rarely stays steady with one network connection. I only connect via an ethernet cable and never have WiFi turned on. I've tried resetting the network adapter through windows and tried all the troubleshooting methods available but it doesn't find any problems because there's always a connection - just not a steady connection. I've always had problems with HP and Windows 10. I only have a few weeks left on my warranty and trying to sort out what to do. If the network adapter is damaged then resetting Windows won't fix the problem and only waste my time. This isn't normal and have to fix it before the warranty ends. 1: How it should be normally1: How it should be normally2: Changes to this within seconds2: Changes to this within seconds3: Show 3 networks3: Show 3 networks4: Then multiple networks4: Then multiple networks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@PC99

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I understand the Ethernet port is fluctuating or malfunctioning,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you reinstall the Ethernet drivers?

Have you updated the drivers?

While you respond to that, here's what i recommend you do:

Network problems might be caused by an issue with the network adapter. Follow these steps to reinstall the network adapter in Windows 10 Device Manager:

1. Type device manager in the search box on the taskbar, then select Device Manager from the search results.

Figure : Search for device manager

Search results for device manager
  2. Double-click the Network adapters category.

Figure : Network adapters

Device Manager window showing Network adapters expanded

3. Right-click the name of the Network Adapter and select Uninstall.

4. On the Confirm Device Uninstall window, click OK.

5. When the network adapter software had been uninstalled, restart the computer. The computer will reinstall the device driver software.

6. After the computer restarts and completes the installation of the device driver software, try connecting to the Internet.

If you do not experience further problems with the network, you are done.

If you are still experiencing problems with the network, update the network drivers.

Updating the network drivers

Network problems might be caused by outdated network drivers. Using a computer that has Internet access, check the HP Customer Support page for network drivers for your product. If one is available, download and install the latest update for the network hardware that you use. Use the following steps to download and install the latest driver for your hardware.

1. Go to the HP Customer Support webpage.

2. If you are presented with a page to enter your product number, enter the number (for example, Pavilion p6230f or TouchSmart 600-1050uk). Then, click the product name from the search results

3. Click Software and Drivers.

4. In the Go directly to the software and driver results box, click Go.

5. Select your operating system, then select the Driver-Network category.

6. Select the network or modem driver update (for example, Realtek RTL8139 LAN Driver Update).

7. Follow the instruction on the download page to download and install the update.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying. I have tried all the methods you wrote. HP support site shows update for another Realtek driver not the same as mine and dated from 2015 and my laptop is less than a year old. It's impossible to fix the problem through troubleshoot as it shows the connection as working. It only disconnects for a very brief moment before establishing another connection (as shown in the photos). You would think it's working normally but the problem is obvious when trying to download important updates (Windows cumulative updates etc.). Windows doesn't like interruptions and what should take a relative short time (as far as Windows updates are concerned), it takes several hours to download or just fails to download and states "try again". I really thought it was a Windows 10 problem as many have had problems updating but in this case it's something to do with this HP laptop. I don't have any problems with my other laptops.

HP Recommended

Hi

Does your scan with A/V report anything?

Malwarebytes and Adaware are a good thing to try.

You have not posted anything about the adapter, like its IP address, default Gateway, Lease time etc.  So if you could try and run

ipconfig -all

and post the output it may help.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Good Day

here i mentioned a link through which you can update right network driver.

try to use online no need to download this pack.

"https://driverpack-solution-online.en.softonic.com/"

I hope this link will be helpful for you.:)

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Securiy check doesn't reveal any problems. Used Windows Defender and Malwarebytes and Adware Cleaner. The rest concerning IP address, default gateway etc is beyond my understanding of computers. I'm only a novice. All I know is this is a new computer bought to replace HP Win 7 laptop which refused to update to Win 10. I only use this new one to update Windows and Malwarebytes and discovered this problem. I don't have much luck with HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying but I don't think I should be using third party software updates for basically a new laptop. HP should be able to give me an up to date working computer. If you look at the photos, I'd like someone to tell me why so many networks are shown. The longer it stays on the more networks appear. Even if it did continually lose connection, shouldn't it only still show just one connection?

HP Recommended

Thanks for all your suggested solutions. Unfortunately, the issue wasn't so simple. The laptop had to go back to HP for repairs and I'm including a photo of the repairs done. The repairs fixed the problem but now I have a problem with the fan always runnings (usually blowing cold air) and extremely loud when I use the laptop just to browse the net or download something. Remembering, this was a new laptop. Hardly ever used except to update Windows 10. It was quiet as a mouse. So now I have to attempt to send it back with this new problem after HP's repairs. When the laptop first went back it was still under warranty and now the warranty has ended. The repair report shows a dent on the outside (which I'm struggling to find). the only markings I found are on the keyboard side with a scratch and dent which weren't there before the repairs. I kept this laptop as new and even shipped it back in the original packaging as when I bought it - but it arrived back in a parcel box with plenty of bubble wrap instead. I took much better care with the laptop than HP did. I think I'll try a different brand next time as this is my second HP laptop which has caused me problems. I would rather of had a refund instead of going through this stress. Oh well, it's only money right. Maybe you can suggest a solution for the fan and my best course of action.HP REPAIR.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.