Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-db0023nt

I want to change bu rtl8723de model wifi card with new one. Because it is not support linux based system. Which cards can be suitable for my computer.For example: Can I use Intel AC-3160.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't think so.

Only certain Intel cards work in AMD notebooks and I don't believe that the Intel 3160 was one of them.

You can try either one of these cards in hope that it works because it has been used in HP notebooks with AMD processors.

You can see these cards were offered in the 15-ba0xx model series which has an AMD processor (chapter 3, page 25).

HP Notebook PC (AMD) * Models: 15-ba100 – 15-ba199 * Models: 15-ba000 – 15-ba099 * Models: 15-bf100 ...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT 4.2 Combo                      HP part # 806723-005

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter        HP part # 863934-855

Make sure you buy one that has the HP part number on it, because I don't know if any other variation will work.

The Bluetooth will not work with just having the one antenna wire.

Connect the wire to the Wi-Fi card's 'Main' antenna terminal.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

Chapter 3 of the service manual has the list of supported wifi cards.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP 15 Laptop PC

The RTL8822BE card needs two antenna wires to work, and your notebook only has one.

It appears that your only other option for a replacement Wi-Fi card would be the Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac 1 × 1 Wi-Fi adapter.

You can check a Linux forum and see if the RTL8821CE has driver support for Linux.

HP Recommended

If I try  this card, could that work "Intel AC-3160"

HP Recommended

I don't think so.

Only certain Intel cards work in AMD notebooks and I don't believe that the Intel 3160 was one of them.

You can try either one of these cards in hope that it works because it has been used in HP notebooks with AMD processors.

You can see these cards were offered in the 15-ba0xx model series which has an AMD processor (chapter 3, page 25).

HP Notebook PC (AMD) * Models: 15-ba100 – 15-ba199 * Models: 15-ba000 – 15-ba099 * Models: 15-bf100 ...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT 4.2 Combo                      HP part # 806723-005

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter        HP part # 863934-855

Make sure you buy one that has the HP part number on it, because I don't know if any other variation will work.

The Bluetooth will not work with just having the one antenna wire.

Connect the wire to the Wi-Fi card's 'Main' antenna terminal.

HP Recommended

Alright, thank you so much.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Real fast question. No disrespect to you at all, but why do you always try to dissuade people from upgrading to a far superior network card because they only have one antenna, as opposed to suggesting they simply add a 2nd antenna? If they have the skill to open up the computer and swap the card, you don't think they have the skill to remove the bezel and 6 screws and add another antenna, or upgrade to a pair of better antenna? Just wondering, as I have seen well over a dozen posts where you have suggested people install a far inferior card with one antenna, as opposed to installing the best card available and having to add the 2nd antenna? The additional antenna is a very easy task. Better yet, adding a pair of 8db gain antenna for the new card would add range and signal strength. I have 4 HP 15-bw032wm notebooks that all have the Intel ax200 card with a pair of 8db antenna and the range, signal strength, and speed are far superior to any card you are suggesting with only 1 antenna. I don't mean to be disrespectful to you at all, I just don't understand why you would suggest inferior upgrades for no other reason then an 8 min antenna addition. 

HP Recommended

Because I disagree with your opinion that it's so easy to add a second antenna wire as you  make it sound. 

Maybe it's easy for you, but most folks want a simple direct swap without a lot of disassembly, and buying additional parts. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.