Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook 14-db0000
Chrome OS

Hi everyone

This strikes me as a bit weird.  Just bought my first Chromebook.  Set it up and connected to my home Wi-Fi network, but will not connect to the internet.  I did a hard resent of my router and the Chromebook connected and I could get internet,  The following time I tried it, the same issue - connected to network but no internet.  Diagnostics come back with a DNS error - code 137.  Each time I try it, I get the same.  Then we had a power cut and following everything coming back on after the power had been restored, the Chromebook connected to the internet.  The following day, it wouldn't connect again! Arghhhhh!!!!!!

I did a quick Google of DNS error code 137 and saw a Reddit post relating to Chromebooks that said the problem is down to the Chromebook trying to use IPv6 rather than IPv4 - but then I don't get why it connects after re-booting the router???

All other devices (Windows laptop, MacBook, Android phones) connect without issue.  I have both a wired and a wireless network if that makes any difference?  My router is a Vigor 2830n.

I will try HP tech support if no-one can help as it's a brand new device.

Thanks

J

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@JustinChrome Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to connect the internet.

Please refer to the below link to troubleshoot the issue.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/6318213

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

No joy with that.  It didn't help, unfortunately.

I took the Chromebook into work today and it connected to the Wi-Fi and I could browse the internet no problem.  I have emailed my Router manufacturer (Draytek) to see if they can help.  They have initially said that if everything else in my home connects to the internet then it's a problem with the Chromebook.  As I now know it works in my work, I think the Chromebook can be ruled out?

Thanks

J

HP Recommended

Please reset your Chromebook to factory settings.

You can make your Chromebook run like new again by doing a factory reset. If you will no longer be using your device, you may want to do a factory reset.

A factory reset erases all the information on your Chromebook's hard drive, including all the files in the Downloads folder.

Before you reset, make sure to back up your files on Google Drive or an external hard drive. The factory reset won't delete any of your files on Google Drive or external storage device.

Please refer to the below link.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183084?hl=en

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi Praveen

My Chromebook is brand-new.  Is it still worth doing this?

Thanks

J

HP Recommended

@JustinChrome

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.