Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a Pavilion 15 n420tx, with WiFi adapter Ralink RT3290.

I am not able to detect any WiFi with channel 13 (not sure about 12, 14), and I'm not in US region, there's no restriction on those channels in my country.

The said OS is Win 8.1, with latest driver downloaded from HP website.

I have tried Ubuntu on another partition of my system and it's able to detect these problematic channels.

Please enlighten me with a solution.

Please do not ask me to change the router settings, it's public WiFi.

Please do not tell me to just use Ubuntu, I have my own reason.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi alvinthen,

I understand that you are having an issue with the WiFi detecting channel 13. I will try my best to help you with this issue.  You can try to change this, but you may need to purchase a router from the area you are in as

Here are some steps you can try.  Open 'Control Panel' and go to the 'Networking and Sharing Center' select 'Manage wireless networks' and  click on 'Adapter properties', click on 'Configure' and then click on 'Advanced' then select 'Country Region (2.4GHz)' and in the Value Box Select  '#1(1-13)'.

I hope this works for you, let me know how it goes.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

There's no such property on that page.

The available properties are:

• Adhoc support 802.11n
  • Multimedia/Gaming environment
  • Radio On/Off
  • Roaming Sensitivity.

HP Recommended

Hi alvinthen,

I am sorry that did not work for you. If you do not have the options that I have sent, then you will not have the ability to use Channel 13 with this router.

I hope this information helps,

Regards,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hello, for Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter check the registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0003]  (or simply search for name of your device in regedit class tree)

set countryregion to 1, reboot

Dan

HP Recommended

Mine did not have a country code at aforementioned location But in registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0013] there was a ChanSpec which was set at 11 I changed it to 13 and Country was set to US changed it to HR for Croatia and Rebooted and it works now on XP SP2.

Thank You Dsatkhan!!

HP Recommended

This is the magic I've been looking for. My RT3595 2x2 abgn 2.4+5GHz wifi card would simply not see anything past channel 11 on the 2.4 GHz. I followed the advice and found my card under the said location just not 0003 or 0013 but instead under 0007. Guess that makes sense since for every pc or wifi card it would be different, but anyway, you just need to look for it and find it, as Dan advised. Then I changed set CountryRegion to 1 and rebooted as he said and now my card detects 2.4ghz channels 12 and 13 as well! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.