Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15-ek0006ns
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, as I've described in the title I have this very big problem with my new HP OMEN 15-ek0006ns (2020).

I use it with a logitech mouse (MX Anywhere 2S), that communicates with the computer with a Logitec Unifying Receiver.

It all works well, the system is responsive and I have no problems when just the mouse is connected to the pc (I have also a logitech keyboard, that uses the same receiver, always from logitech, and it doesn't give me any problem).

However, when I plug in my external hard drive (Western Digital My Passport, USB 3.0, 3TB Storage) into an USB port, the mouse and the keyboard stops working properly: the cursor sometimes stops responding, for a large amount of time (even 4-5 seconds or more), and even the keyboard it doesn't type. 

Sometimes they don't take the input at all, other times the input is taken but with a large delay (4-5 seconds always).

When you plug out the external hard disk, the systems start becoming responsive again.

However obviously I need my external hard drive, I have a lot of data on it, and I need it to be connected to my notebook while I'm working.

A system like this is just UNUSABLE. So I really need to figure it out what is causing this issue and resolve it.

So far, I've tried all of those things:

- I've plugged both the mouse receiver and the hard disk to different usb ports; no luck, the problem still persist;

- I've disabled both for the mouse receiver and the hard disk the option "power saving" in device manager in windows 10. No luck with that too, still having the issue

- Changed batteries to the mouse and the keyboard. No luck with that too

So, given the various option I've tried, I just think that this is a driver related problem. Or something more misterious in windows (I haven't tried if the problem is present in other OSes like Ubuntu; I should try that).

I'd be prone to even change the external hard drive (even if this shouldn't be a "normal" thing: I have buyed it just one year ago!), but how can I be so sure that the problem will not show up even with another external hard drive??

So, I really need some hints on how to resolve this and I ask HP to take a look at the issue personally.
I just can't work in this condition.

Thanks to anyone who would be so kind to help 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@frah90

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant in order to update the latest USB drivers: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Note: While performing the updates ensure to remove all external USB devices and external Hard Drive.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sadly, I've done everything you've guided me through, I've installed all the drivers and the updates, both from windows update and hp assistant.

The only missing packet that wasn't installed in my HP Notebook was an SDK (Omen Development Kit or something like that, I'm writing it so because I'm italian and the name of the software package was in Italian, but I guess from the name that it was just a packet for developers stuff, not driver-related).

After all the updates I'm still having the issue; mouse and keyboard stops responding randomly when the external hard drive is attached, while I have no problem when the drive is unplugged.

I don't know if this can help, but while the mouse and keyboard aren't responding, the touchpad does work.

I would have thought that the problem were with the mouse and\or the keyboard, but this happen only when I connect the hard drive, so it's a problem at pc/usb/driver level.

Moreover this problem wasn't present on my older notebook (a 10 years old Asus N61JQ), using the very same mouse, keyboard and external hard drive.

what can I do in order to identify the cause of the problem and find a solution? Do I need to run some tests?

thanks

HP Recommended

I've posted a video about the problem.
You can watch the mouse losing the connection with the logitech receiver, around at 0.13s, at 0.37s and also 1m30s

This is the link (you need to look at the "bluetooth" icon on the logitech app, it becomes dark when the mouse loose connection):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG_queZB2RQ

As you can see, the problem is really annoying!

And in this video the malfunctioning is just for a few seconds, but there are times when I loose mouse/keyboard control for even 5-10 seconds!!!

Now like I've said an option could be:

- buy another external hard drive

- buy another pair of mouse/keyboard

but who guarantee me that I will not have this problem with other devices too??

So please help me figure it out this problem, I need to use my external hard drive exactly like I did on my 10-years old pc, I need to work and be able to access to the datas on the hard drive at the same time.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@frah90

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. Since you have already tried most of the troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue and as we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.