Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi, I dont know how relevent this is: 

I posted on the Forum to seek help about an issue I have with my HP laptop PC

I was sent a private message quoting a HP Helpdesk number 02032897008.

I was a bit suspicious but called the number today. The phone rang but then seemed to be diverted to another line which had a dodgy ring tone as if diverted to some other country/area ETC

If anyone can confirm that this is the proper HP Heldesk number I will be happy and call it. Otherwise beware!!!

Thanks

JockStrat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @JockStrat

That is a scam message.

Do not reply to it, or call any of the phone numbers listed.

When you post a question on this forum, no one will ever send you an unsolicited private message to provide assistance.

They will answer your question where it was posted.

Since this forum is peer to peer, it is possible that if no one knows the answer to your question, you will not get an answer.

But those guys are just trying to scam you.

HP and Lithium (the company that manages the forum), are working on ways to prevent these scammers from infiltrating this forum, but there are no easy methods to do this.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi

Please give your model number at the very least.

HP Recommended

Hi I have a HP Pavillion  B&o laptop

HP Recommended

Hi, @JockStrat

That is a scam message.

Do not reply to it, or call any of the phone numbers listed.

When you post a question on this forum, no one will ever send you an unsolicited private message to provide assistance.

They will answer your question where it was posted.

Since this forum is peer to peer, it is possible that if no one knows the answer to your question, you will not get an answer.

But those guys are just trying to scam you.

HP and Lithium (the company that manages the forum), are working on ways to prevent these scammers from infiltrating this forum, but there are no easy methods to do this.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

yes I thought was a scammer.

thanks and regards.

JockStrat

HP Recommended

HP support scams appear to be common (do a search on the forums for other examples).  I received a phone call at 7AM this morning from a woman with a strong Indian accent who claimed to be calling from HP customer support and said she was calling because of my recent contact with HP support.  I had not made any such contact and the caller ID was spoofed, listing a number that is not HP.  When I challenged her as being an HP representative, she hung up.

A month or so ago, I received another call from someone claiming to be HP's Smart Friend service and offering to process a refund for a payment I made to Smart Friend (I had not made any payment).  But, this caller knew my name, machine model # and serial number.  He wanted to take control of my PC to process the refund.  I did not allow that and he hung up.  I suspect that HP's customer database has been hacked.

I reported this to HP on this support forum and got a private message asking for details of my case offering to escalate it to the Smart Friend service.  Pretty worthless.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, @JockStrat

HP Recommended

Yes Paul,

I only joined the forum to get help with a PC  issue. I'm now aware that 'no where is safe'

Not to bore you (You've possibly heard a few on the subject)

I get a call on my landline, and I'm imeadiately alerted to the opening gambit. "Mr. Jockstrat, Mr. Jockstrat,  I'm so glad I speak with you! I am Vindows Techneekil Deepaltment,  you computer is leaking al you information to the world!

I  immediately pretend to be an old age pensioner, and that my wife will go 'off her nut ' at me.

"Mr. Jockstrat, don't panic, I'm here to help you, are you at you PC" I then tell him that I need the toilet. 

I strung him along with the pensioner act until he had enough, and hung up. How inconsiderate!

Regards

JockStrat

HP Recommended

LOL!

My youngest son told me that he toyed with one of those scammers for 15 minutes one evening.

The scammer transferred him to another person higher up, and she hung up on him after she realized he was messing with their heads.

I don't necessarily think it is a good idea to engage with those guys, but I guess as long as you don't give out any personal info that they could use, then why not waste their time like they do ours?

Have a great weekend!

Paul

HP Recommended

I apologise to Forum members regarding my  last post (maybe my 'last post' when Admin sees it)

I did join the Forum only for help, but think I'll be a good place to be. I don't have very high grade equipment but what I have is HP.

Being honest, I have always experienced grood service from HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.