Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 14s-fr0012AU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On HP Laptop 14s-fr0012AU, there is wireless card Realtek RTL8821CE for wifi connectivity. The specs mention it as:

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo

I believe this is not dual-band, meaning I won't get 2 split wifi signals with 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz frequency, there will be only 1 wifi signal. Is that correct ? Will that be 5 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz ?

My current laptop has Intel chipset and I believe it is dual band, hence I see my wifi connection as 2 signals. I usually connect on 5ghz and when it is not stable (due to obstacles like doors, etc), I connect on 2.4 ghz for lower speed but better stability. With single band wifi (like in the above HP laptop model), can I switch between 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz (from network properties may be ? I am just guessing).

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo is a dual band wifi adapter.

1 x 1 means that it can run one data stream down and one data stream up.

On the 2.4 GHz wifi band, the card will have a maximum throughput of 72 MBPS with an excellent wifi signal.

On the 5.0 GHz wifi band, the card will have a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS with a wireless AC router, and 150 MBPS with a dual band wireless N router.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. Can you help me with the 2 questions below:

1. Will I have the option for choosing 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz band on it ?

2. My wifi is named as Mongiawifi. I see 2 signals of this as Mongiawifi and Mongiawifi_5GHZ on my current laptop (different from the one in question). Will I similarly see both these wifi signals using this HP Laptop 14s-fr0012AU with  RTL8821CE wireless network card.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, and yes.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information. Ah, now I get the difference between dual band 1x1 and dual band 2X2, with 1X1 if  for the

5.0 GHz wifi band, the card will have a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS, for 2X2 for the same 5.0GHZ wifi band, this network speed is more or almost double or something of that sort due to double stream.......I hope I am right

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Not quite.

1 x 1, and 2 x 2 the amount of data stream throughput the card supports.

1 x 1 allows for one data stream up and one down.

2 x 2 allows for two data streams up, and two down.

1 x 1 and 2 x 2 wifi adapters can both work on both the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz wifi bands.

It just depends on what model the card is.

The Realtek RTL8821CE card is a 1 x 1 card...one data stream up and one down.

72 MBPS on the 2.4 GHz wifi band, and 433 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band.

There is a Realtek RTL8822CE wifi card which is 2 x 2.

That has a maximum throughout of 144 MBPS on the 2.4 GHz wifi band and 867 MBPs on the 5.0 GHz wifi band...double the throughput of the RTL8821CE, since it allows for two data streams up and two down.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.