Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP pavilion g6-1241ea
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am in need of upgrading my wi-fi card as the one in my HP pavilion g6-1241ea laptop only gives 72.0 Mbps and cannot be increased without replacing it.

Obviously due to it's age the Ralink RT5390 802.11 b/g/n wi fi adapter is well outdated. If possible could you recommend a suitable compatible replacement card that will fit my laptop and will give me 300 Mbps, or whatever the max Mpbs the laptop can support.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @Echo_Lake

A little help please. I have ordered the Broadcom 4313GN 802.11b/g/n 1x1 WiFi and 20702 Bluetooth 4.0 Combo, Part Number 657325-001, which according to the manual is compatible with my laptop (HP pavilion g6-1241ea). Could you please double check the cards compatibility for me if you would please.

Also could you tell me if this card will be instantly recognised on my laptop or do i need to download a driver, if so which driver.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Tee56
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

After reading your post, I did go through the Product specifications of your product and found that you have 802.11 b/g/n drive installed on the PC.

Check the below wireless module options:  Click here to know about the wireless module: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02968997 (Refer to the: 54 Chapter 4 Removal and replacement procedures)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply can i ask which one of these is dual band as i am wanting to upgrade to 5Ghz.

I was reading this thread, please read this yourself as it has a card not listed on your list.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/HP-Pavilion-g6-2000-series-upgrading-your-...

Would this card be compatible as that person also had a pavillion g6 laptop and it worked perfectly fine.

I presume that your list will not have been updated for quite a while with it being an old laptop.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Tee56
Thank you fir posting back.

These network adapters does not support Dual-Band. The only network adapter which supports 5GHz network is 802.11ac:
To Determine 5 GHz Network Band Capability follow the below steps:

• Search "cmd" in the Start Menu.
  • Type "netsh wlan show drivers" in the Command Prompt & Press Enter.
  • Look for the "Radio types supported" section.

If you see 802.11ac under Radio types supported that mean the computer supports both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz which is dual band compatible.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey @Echo_Lake

A little help please. I have ordered the Broadcom 4313GN 802.11b/g/n 1x1 WiFi and 20702 Bluetooth 4.0 Combo, Part Number 657325-001, which according to the manual is compatible with my laptop (HP pavilion g6-1241ea). Could you please double check the cards compatibility for me if you would please.

Also could you tell me if this card will be instantly recognised on my laptop or do i need to download a driver, if so which driver.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.