Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 p030nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So is it possible to install a wifi card that supports 5g and is compatible with my laptop that uses the  Realtek RTL8723BE without running any wires. Something that is just plug and play? I saw this list on another thread and it said that the last one that says dual band supports both 2.4 and 5. Is that accurate? Do all the wifi cards above it not support 5g. Would someone please be kind enough to help me with my doubts?

Please and thank you

NetworkingIntegrated wireless options with single antenna (M.2):
Compatible with Miracast-certified devices
Support for the following WLAN formats:

● Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

● Realtek RT8723BE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter

● Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 HMC Combo Adapter

● Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You would not be able to use the Intel card.

This is the service manual that supports your notebook's model series.

c04402649 (hp.com)

Chapter 3, page 28 has the list of supported wifi adapters.

The only dual band card that would work in your notebook would be the Broadcom BCM4352, but again...no Bluetooth.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only wifi adapter on the list you posted that supports dual band wifi is the Intel 3165 AC.

However, that wifi adapter requires two antennas in order for the wifi and bluetooth to work.

I am 99% sure that your notebook only has one antenna wire, so if you want to use the Intel 3165 AC card, you will have to attach the single antenna wire to the wifi card's 'Main' antenna terminal and go without Bluetooth.

HP Recommended

The laptop I have uses the AMD A8-5545M APU processor.  Does that mean that I can't use intel WiFi cards?

HP Recommended

You would not be able to use the Intel card.

This is the service manual that supports your notebook's model series.

c04402649 (hp.com)

Chapter 3, page 28 has the list of supported wifi adapters.

The only dual band card that would work in your notebook would be the Broadcom BCM4352, but again...no Bluetooth.

HP Recommended

Why would that dual band supported cars lose me my Bluetooth ability?

HP Recommended

Because the dual band cards that work with your notebook all require two antenna cables and yours only has one.

The Bluetooth works off the auxiliary terminal which won't have an antenna connected to it.

The bluetooth will show up but the signal will be too weak for the bluetooth to connect to anything.

HP Recommended

Is there a way to wire it in with some sort of customization where I could have all three feature?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to help you with that.

Your specific model PC was only designed to work with single band wifi cards.

You would have to order the antenna kit listed in the service manual, and completely disassemble the entire notebook including the display panel to properly run a second antenna and transceiver.

IMHO, such an upgrade isn't worth the time and effort.

HP Recommended

Thank you

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.