Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
PC 15s-fq2000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My wifi will go off sporadically with no warning.  No networks are found to reconnect because the Realtek adapter has failed to start (but I haven't shut it down or gone on standby). The only way to get it working again was to run the troubleshooter which fixed it. Whilst Device Manager told me I had the best drivers I have downloaded and updated to 2024.0.10.220 and will monitor it. A pain working from home in online meetings.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is a newer driver if you want to give it a try.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp112501-113000/sp112619.exe

That would be the only suggestion I can offer regarding the problem you are having.

The Realtek RTL8821CE is a lousy model wifi card and I have no idea why HP continues to use these cards in their PC's.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is a newer driver if you want to give it a try.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp112501-113000/sp112619.exe

That would be the only suggestion I can offer regarding the problem you are having.

The Realtek RTL8821CE is a lousy model wifi card and I have no idea why HP continues to use these cards in their PC's.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I've downloaded the latest version and if it repeats I'll update the driver and monitor again. Laptop's only 1 month old! 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Typically Windows Update has just reverted the driver to 2024.2.10.217 which was shipped with the laptop. I can find that registry entries need to be updated to prevent automatic update of the device driver which I'm a bit loath to undertake, unless 2024.0.10.221 prevents this happening? Perhaps I should revert to my 8 year old HP ProBook which is still going strong!!

HP Recommended

If you want to try the v221 driver without having to do registry changes and whatnot, run the Hide windows updates utility that I zipped up and attached below.

With v221 installed, run the utility and see if the 2024.2.10.217 driver shows up on the list.

Check the box to hide the update.

If you need to revert to v217, run the utility again and this time select the show hidden updates option and you will be able to check the update to unhide it and then you can install it after the utility finishes running

HP Recommended

I loaded the V221 driver. The Hide Windows Update utility never identified a wireless driver to 'hide from updates' so I'm just monitoring at the moment...fingers crossed so far so good but who knows 🙂

HP Recommended

Nope just gone down again and 4 online meetings tomorrow!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.