Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 440 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All,

We have a handfull of laptops purchased for an office with the Realtek RTL8822BE wireless card, and no matter which type of wifi we connect to, be it the office network, wifi hotspot or home, the download speeds are bad enough that no one can telecommute or work in the field with these laptops. We've tried all of the usual troubleshooting steps, like updating the firmware, the drivers, running windows updates, temporarily disabling the windows firewall, etc. with no luck. 

Has anyone experienced this with these laptops and found a resolution?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Yes, experiencing the exact same issue...we have about 6 Probook 440 G5s, each running the Realtek 8822BE Wifi Adapter and every single one of these units has network issues, they will drop the connection multiple times a day, drop pings at random, and are slow to reconnect if they reconnect at all. Sometimes we are forced to connect to the access point manually. I have reinstalled the OS, updated all system, BIOS, Chipset, and network related drivers via HP driver repository, ran the network troubleshooter...doesn't help one bit. I've even tried outdated Realtek drivers just to see if it helps, it doesn't. I have tweaked the adapter settings by turning off the power saving feature, and other recommended settings to no avail.  

Note: I have about 100 Probook 450's onsite of which are all running the INTEL Wifi adapter...they NEVER drop connection, ever! The issues lies squarly with the Realtek adapter. Honestly, the only solution in my eyes is to replace these faulty Realtek 8822BE adapters with Intel wifi adatpers. 

HP Recommended

We have maybe around 40 new laptops in total, some of them run the Intel wireless but most have that realtek wifi card. I was afraid the solution would be to replace the card, as sending in 20+ laptops would result in a lot of downtime for this office. I could just install usb wifi adapters for everyone to hopefully avoid the problem, but we shouldn't have to do this, being brand new laptops very much still under warranty. 

HP Recommended

HP hasn't provided an true solution yet, the solution of replacing w/ Intel adapters was just a pipe-dream...honestly I'd be surprised if HP actually replaced the Realtek chip. The problem with using a USB WIFI adatper is that these 440 models only have 2 USB inputs total, so if we use one for the WIFI then we're left with only 1 USB input...and that's just not enough for this time and age. 

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I had a new user with the same Realtek RTL8822BE wifi chipset..

We have the same problem which manifested as perfect latency, followed by very high 3 second ping times to the local wifi gateway every 8 to 12 seconds.

I tried disabling power saving on the Wifi adapter, changing power settings to no power savings under Windows power savings I was starting to pull out my hair until I ran across the following:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-ping-problem-with...

It seems that having Windows 10 "autoconfig" enabled for this particular Realtek RTL8822BE Wifi card causes these massive latency problems every time it does a scan for surrounding wifi hotspots.

The only problem is that you can't connect to a different hotspot if you disable it, but you can just turn it back on/off without rebooting.

So I ended up creating two batch files, which need to be run as Administrator which just turn on and off the autoconfig option for the wifi card.

The wireless card in my case was named "Wi-Fi" so I created the "Enable-wifi-autoconfig.bat" as:

# Enable wifi searching for new networks
netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=yes interface="Wi-Fi"

And the "disable-wifi-autoconfig.bat" file as:

# Disable wifi searching for new networks - prevent massive latency
# Note: You will need to re-enable autoconfig to be able to connect to a different
#           wifi hotspot.
netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wi-Fi"

You can place the batch files elsewhere, say under C:\SWSETUP\, then create a shortcut to those .bat files and move them to your desktop and edit the properties under "Advanced" properties of the shortcut and set it to run as Administrator so you can just double click the shortcuts and be prompted for Admin.

Hopefully this helps someone else with this issue.

Cheers

HP Recommended

Interesting solution Lwtech but that won't fly in my office. I have 9 access points and my users walk around the office w/ their laptops all the time. We have a lot of huddle rooms and work areas around the office so people have freedom to work where they like. Having to run a batch file manually when you want to connect to another access point is too much when the functionality should be automatic.

By the way, I've opened 3 support requests for this issue. The first time they reconnected the antennae to the chip, and the two times after they replaced the chip w/ another Realtek, except this time it's the RTL8821CE. Still doesn't work, still seeing a ton of packet loss, latency, and slow to connect issues.

I shouldn't have to go purchase a bunch of Intel chips and install them myself but honestly, HP support on this issue is non-existent. This entire experience has been a huge waste of everyones time and has been extremely frustrating...the fix is now on the customers shoulders, that doesn't seem right.  

HP Recommended

Update: I replaced the Realtek w/ an Intel dual band wireless-ac 3165 and not surprsintly the problem went away. No more dropped packets, consistent wifi connection and now my users can actually work w/o fear or being disconnected. What a concept.

HP you need to address this issue. It should not be the consumers responsibility to replace faulty hardware. It's truly a shame that HP's solution is to replace the Realtek chip w/ another Realtek chip, completely tone deaf. 

HP Recommended

Hi Bilbobgaggind,

Thanks for the update!  Totally agree that HP should address this problem.

That being said I won't hold my breath waiting for a response from them..

I'm going to take a look at the service manual, I already upgraded the RAM and HDD -> SSD in this particular laptop, so if the Intel dual band wireless-ac 3165 isn't too expensive I might see if I can replace that as well.

Cheers.

HP Recommended

There's a new Realtek driver out that just popped up on the model that I'm trying to fix.
I'm going to install it tomorrow on our employee's laptop:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-17-by0000-laptop-pc/20395856/model/221...

Fixes from Release notes:
- Fixes an issue on a system running in DC mode where the wireless LAN disconnects unexpectedly .
- Fixes an issue on a system running in DC mode where the WiFi scan list displays the message no internet, secured. 

- Provides support for Windows 10 v1809.
- Provides support for Windows 10 v19H1.
- Reduces the time required for the system power on (boot).

It looks like it's an updated version for the same Realtek chipset, so it should likely work for your Probook 440 G5 as well..

HP Recommended

Did the new driver install fix it for you Lwtech???

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.