Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15t-n200 CTO Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the HP laptop product HP Pavilion 15t-n200 CTO Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

About a month ago or maybe even longer, the wi-fi started going out at random times. It has gotten progressively worse overtime. As of now, my wi-fi goes out randomly throughout the day, but primarily later in the day/at night. And it goes completely out, I know because not only does the laptop not detect my home wi-fi, it doesn't detect any nearby networks.

I figured out that I can run the HP Network Check when it goes out and it restores the wi-fi after resetting all of the following:

Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn  Wi-Fi Adapter

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

My Wireless Network Adapter

I have already tried nearly all of the troubleshooting steps found on this support website. It really appears to be something with these Realtek drivers the computer is using. I tried looking for a more recent driver directly on Realtek's website and it appears that the driver I have on my computer is not the most current one. For the driver I have right now, I have a driver date of 7/21/2015 and version 2023.15.701.2015

In case you're wondering, yes I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers from the device manager and if I remember correctly I even tried doing it from the HP website too. Anyways, on Realtek's website I found this driver download and the driver software is dated from June of 2017. It appears to be an updated version to the driver I currently have but I'm not sure.

Can someone confirm that this would be the correct driver to download? This is the link where I found it:

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/rtl8188ee-software

Also, what am I supposed to do after downloading it? Because I already tried going through the download and all I got was a zip file of a bunch of different stuff.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the latest wifi driver HP has for the RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn  Wi-Fi Adapter:

v2024.0.4.208:    Date Released to HP:  Sep 4, 2020

This package contains the DCHU driver installation package for the Realtek RTL8188EE, RTL8723BE, RTL8723DE, RTL8821CE, RTL8822BE and RTL8822CE wireless LAN Controller in the supported notebook and desktop models running a supported Windows 10 or Windows 10 Cloud operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp108501-109000/sp108893.exe

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the latest wifi driver HP has for the RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn  Wi-Fi Adapter:

v2024.0.4.208:    Date Released to HP:  Sep 4, 2020

This package contains the DCHU driver installation package for the Realtek RTL8188EE, RTL8723BE, RTL8723DE, RTL8821CE, RTL8822BE and RTL8822CE wireless LAN Controller in the supported notebook and desktop models running a supported Windows 10 or Windows 10 Cloud operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp108501-109000/sp108893.exe

HP Recommended

So the Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter seems to have been updated on my PC now. I used the link you provided and from the device manager, the driver now shows a driver date of 5/26/2019 and version 2024.0.4.208.

But now what about this Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller? What even is that? I looked it up online and from what I gather its something that requires use of an ethernet cord, is that right? I don't use an ethernet cord. At one point, I disabled that driver and my wi-fi was functioning just fine without it, so do I even need it? Anyways, the PCIe FE Family Controller might also be outdated. It's showing a driver date of 8/15/2013 and version 8.20.815.2013 is there a more updated version that I should have?

HP Recommended

You are correct.

The  Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller is the 10/100 MBPS ethernet (wired) controller.

I recommend you use the latest driver directly from Realtek for that one.

Download, unzip and run the setup application from the W10 driver file from the link below...

Realtek PCIe FE / GBE / 2.5G / Gaming Ethernet Family Controller Software - REALTEK

HP Recommended

Thanks, I have both drivers updated now. The PCIe FE Family Controller now shows a driver date of 9/28/2020 and version 10.45.928.2020 I will now give it some time to ensure that the wi-fi functionality on my computer is stable and reliable.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

So unfortunately the wi-fi just went out again on my PC. There must be something really wrong. Again I used the HP Network Check and it did the exact same thing as before.

When I go into the device manager>network adapters>Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter>properties>events>view all events then select administrative events under custom views, I have a huge list of warning and error messages (almost 14,000) they go back to 9/13/2020. Anytime the wi-fi goes out, I've been checking those events and there's always some warning and/or error message(s) coming up. I also notice on the events tab (on the properties window) it shows the same date with description "device install requested" followed by a bunch of other stuff. Could all of this mean anything? Should I attempt to do a system restore on my PC to a date before 9/13/2020?

To give an idea of the things I've already tried, I have:

Configured power settings on the drivers so that the computer does not turn them off to save power

Reset the Wi-Fi router in my household

Performed some kind of resets using commands on the command window

Performed a hardware reset on my PC (shut down PC, remove battery, hold power button down for 15 sec & reset router)

Did a scan using some diagnostic tool on the HP website here to see if it could be a hardware issue but it didn't detect any problems.

Any other things I could try doing?

HP Recommended

I was just trying to manually change network settings (step 3 on this page https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06282875)

When I bring up TCP Global Parameters I get a pretty different list than what the sample solution shows. Also, there's no instruction on how to change these settings, should I change something and if so how? Here's a look at the settings I have:

Receive-Side Scaling State: Enabled

Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level: Disabled

Add-On Congestion Control Provider: Default

ECN Capability: Disabled

RFC 1323 Timestamps: Disabled

Initial RTO: 1000

Receive Segment Coalescing State: Enabled

Non Sack Rtt Resiliency: Disabled

Max SYN Retransmissions: 4

Fast Open: Enabled

Fast Open Fallback: Enabled

Hystart: Enabled

Proportional Rate Reduction: Enabled

Pacing Profile: Off

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to help you with those problems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.