Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@AlexEstonia wrote:

mother of god  next month.......

Spoiler
:womanmad:

Even December. I don't think that Realtek have planned something like this when they developed the driver for Windows 8.:)

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

I don't care about business strategies or what ever is going on in behind. I have a problem with HP laptop which has all the latest drivers from HP drivers web site.

If HP won't fix this (or force MS or Realtek to fix it) then we'll just change our it equipment supplier...

HP Recommended

@JHNTRS wrote:

I don't care about business strategies or what ever is going on in behind. I have a problem with HP laptop which has all the latest drivers from HP drivers web site.

If HP won't fix this (or force MS or Realtek to fix it) then we'll just change our it equipment supplier...

I understand but other laptop manufacturers have exactly the same problem because it's been caused by the Microsoft update!! You can change the hardware supplier but the OS will be the same and that's the problem. You can't blame HP, blame Microsoft. It's its operating system update what caused the issue. Realtek have developed a driver for Windows 8 and that driver worked well until the update. MS made some changes to the OS and that caused the incompatibility. I don't think anyone can help you. You have to wait for a patch from MS or a new driver from Realtek but it's not only HP who is in troubles.

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Hi

If you go to this link: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

You can see that also Realtek wrote that those driver is compatible with Windows 8.0 and 8.1!!! But There isn't!! So, in my home opinion, is not only a Microsoft blame!! Also Realtek says that this driver works with 8.1!!

HP Recommended

@DanyZaffa wrote:

Hi

If you go to this link: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

You can see that also Realtek wrote that those driver is compatible with Windows 8.0 and 8.1!!! But There isn't!! So, in my home opinion, is not only a Microsoft blame!! Also Realtek says that this driver works with 8.1!!

Well, yes but Realtek didn't know what changes MS will do to the system when they released the drivers. It looks like MS did more changes than just some security patches and critical updates like in the service packs and Windows 8.1 is more like new Windows 9 etc.. 

HP Recommended

Ok I understand what you mean, but I must resolve the problem! I can't waiting month for a Driver Update!

HP Recommended

same problem for me with cq58-330sf.

I really disagree with the "easy" conclusion: problem appeared with 8.1 -> 8.1 causes the problem.

I mean for any reason realtek firmware or the bios from HP could have an unknown problem for a while that is not detected until  you make some specific work with a specific function that is now used in 8.1 and that is not in Linux distributions or 7/8 microsoft's OS.

with what we can know today with our problem with can'nt determine wether the problem is caused by MS or realtek or HP.

I insist on the fact that the fact that 8.1 seems to be the only one affected does not imply causality.

we could also argue that 8.1 seems to have no problem with other manufacturers.

so both of MS and Realtek and HP have to work in order to determine what causes the problem, then we will be able to speak about who should correct something. all i see is that realtek claims to support 8.1 and has released drivers a few weeks ago, HP is not clear about that and last bios version is 1 year Old, for microsoft err...we never really  know anything anyway but 8.1 gives a clear error code telling that some informations are missing in the firmware/bios and unless HP/realtek gives a clear answer the only one that gives documented informations about the problem is MS...

HP Recommended
we never really  know anything anyway but 8.1 gives a clear error code telling that some informations are missing in the firmware/bios and unless HP/realtek gives a clear answer the only one that gives documented informations about the problem is MS.

The point is that if the OS says that something is missing in the BIOS/firmware it doesn't mean it's missing but the system cannot see it or read it. The latest BIOS is a year old and the NIC worked on linux, Windows 7 and 8 but won't work on Windows 8.1. It means that it's between MS and Realtek but the NIC worked on Windows 8 so it's most likely Windows 8.1 and MS who is responsible. The problem probably occurred during the upgrade process when reinstalling (rewriting) registry etc.. It's actually possible that the NIC might work after a fresh Windows 8.1 install and then installing the original Realtek driver additionally.

It's a similar case when users upgrade operating system to a higher version (Windows 7 to 8 or Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10). Those upgrades end many times in kernel panic, sw-hw conflicts etc so a fresh install is the fastest solution how to fix it. 

HP Recommended

Ok Sure, I understand! But what about the resolution?!

HP Recommended

hehe, start to pray and hope

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.