Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP250G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I saw a solution placed by Paul_Tikkanen  concerning an upgrade of the old Ralink RT 3290 Wifi/BT card by a newer Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 card. But he underlined that two antennas are required, and my HP250G3 has only one antenna installed. Can I still use the new card only connecting the main antenna port (maybe 5GHz wouldn't work), or could I possibly add a second antenna to the aux port (some cards come with an spare cable included)?

Thanks in advance for anyone advising me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm hoping that on the HMC form factor cards like the Ralink one, the Intel 7260's main antenna terminal will work both the wifi and bluetooth and the second antenna wire is just for better reception.

Looking forward to reading about your notebook's wifi card upgrade project.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook has an Intel core processor, attaching the single antenna to the 7260's Main antenna terminal will work, but you may not have Bluetooth.

The second antenna is needed for better wifi reception (antenna diversity).

It would take a lot of work to properly run a second antenna wire and transceiver.

The transceiver is located under the top of the display bezel and the antenna snakes down the side of the bezel, under the motherboard and out.

I recommend that you get this model Intel wifi card for best results.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

If your notebook has a Pentium or Celeron processor, I am pretty sure the Intel card will not work.

Use this Broadcom equivalent...

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0   HP part #  724935-001

HP Recommended

Dear Paul,

I am speechless about the quick reply, thank you so much.

Indeed I have an Intel Core i3-4005U, and I saw the antenna cable going up behind the bezel.

Actually my main problem is that especially the Bluetooth driver is not working well, the wifi/bt coverage is ok.

So I will give it a try and replace the actual card with the AC 7260 you recommended. As the price is similar to a BT dongle, I think it is worth a try.

As I imagine there are more users with the same problem as I saw in earlier posts, I will post here the result when I have finished the replacement.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm hoping that on the HMC form factor cards like the Ralink one, the Intel 7260's main antenna terminal will work both the wifi and bluetooth and the second antenna wire is just for better reception.

Looking forward to reading about your notebook's wifi card upgrade project.

HP Recommended

Dear Paul,

Finally I have the results:

I replaced the old RT 3290 card with the Intel AC 7260 HMW, and....... Bluetooth and 5G didn't work 😞

Obviously the Intel card does separate main and aux antenna for the protocols, so i ordered another antenna and connected it to aux. There was enough place to puzzle the cable along the main antenna cable beside the screen bezel, and I fixed it between back cover and the lcd screen. At least I have 5m covered for bluetooth, I don't have a 5G access point, but now I can see the networks from my neighbours, soI guess 5G will work fine.

So if anyone runs into the same problem, and a BT dongle is no option, here is the solution, which cost me final some 10 bucks.

Again, thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance, and thanks for letting us know the results of your notebook's wifi card upgrade project.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.