Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP PAV 15-AY102NV
Linux

Hello, 

I have the HP PAV 15-AY102NV and I would like to replace the RTL-8723BE wireless card because it is not supported by drivers on Ubuntu 20.04 and it causes many problems. 

I have found this thread, which suggests this wireless card replacement:

• Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11AC 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter (non-vPro) 901229-855

Would that be compatible to my laptop or not?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you replace the Realtek card with the Intel one you posted, the wifi will work but the Bluetooth won't because all of the supported Intel wifi cards that would work in your PC require two antenna wires to be connected to the card, and yours only has one.

So, if you don't care if you have no Bluetooth, the Intel card should work just fine.

You would attach the antenna wire to the notebook's 'Main' antenna terminal.

HP Recommended

Oh, ok cool. Thank you!

I was provided by HP the below compatible cards:

• Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 802.11ac 1 × 1 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (non-vPro) 863934-855
  • Realtek RTL8822BE 802.11ac 2 × 2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) 924813-855
  • Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac 1 × 1 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) L17365-005
  • Realtek RTL8723DE-CG 802.11bgn 1 × 1 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter L21480-005
  • Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC + Bluetooth 5 Combo Adapter (non-vPro) L22634-005
  • Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9461 802.11ac 1 × 1 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 5 Combo Adapter (non-vPro) L25889-005

Would any of them work properly (both WiFi and Bluetooth) with only having one antenna?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Only the Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac 1 × 1 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) L17365-005, will work correctly with one antenna cable, but I think you will be in the same position that you are in now...no Linux support--at least I don't believe so.

The Intel 9461 won't work at all, and the RTL8723DE is a single band card, which probably doesn't have Linux support either.

If you go on a Linux forum, and find out if the 8821CE has Linux support, that would be the card you should go with.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.