Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Energy Star 15-r212na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Having dismantled my laptop to identify wifi connectivity problems, I find that my antenna has broken. It is a single combo wire. Can anyone recommend either a (cheap) replacement antenna or compatible wifi dongle? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@tipshorn-al,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

According to the product specifications found that your PC was shipped with 802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth 4.0 combo (Miracast compatible) Wireless card.

Please go through the Maintenance and Service guide of your notebook and here you will find the parts which are tested on your notebook. 

Chapter 1. Product description - page number 

Chapter 3. Illustrated parts catalog - Page number 20

Antennas (includes wireless antenna cables and transceivers)

For use in models without a touch screen 749638-001

For use in models with a touch screen 774163-001

WLAN module

Ralink RT3290LE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter 690020-005

Realtek RT8723BE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter 753077-005

Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter 709848-005

It looks like only these card has been tested with the computer and dual band wireless cards have not been tested by HP. There is no white list as of now for this specific computer.

Please note, these are the parts which are tested on your PC, If you wish to try other parts you can try it at your own discretion, HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance. 

• You could consult a local Best Buy or Staples technician or any local tech to check if the dual band wireless card is supported by the computer. It should be supported although it has not been tested by HP.
  • The best option at your disposal is to go for a USB dual band wireless adapter and that is economical and cost effective. It does the trick for you and can be purchased online or locally for a song.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@tipshorn-al,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

According to the product specifications found that your PC was shipped with 802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth 4.0 combo (Miracast compatible) Wireless card.

Please go through the Maintenance and Service guide of your notebook and here you will find the parts which are tested on your notebook. 

Chapter 1. Product description - page number 

Chapter 3. Illustrated parts catalog - Page number 20

Antennas (includes wireless antenna cables and transceivers)

For use in models without a touch screen 749638-001

For use in models with a touch screen 774163-001

WLAN module

Ralink RT3290LE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter 690020-005

Realtek RT8723BE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter 753077-005

Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter 709848-005

It looks like only these card has been tested with the computer and dual band wireless cards have not been tested by HP. There is no white list as of now for this specific computer.

Please note, these are the parts which are tested on your PC, If you wish to try other parts you can try it at your own discretion, HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance. 

• You could consult a local Best Buy or Staples technician or any local tech to check if the dual band wireless card is supported by the computer. It should be supported although it has not been tested by HP.
  • The best option at your disposal is to go for a USB dual band wireless adapter and that is economical and cost effective. It does the trick for you and can be purchased online or locally for a song.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.