Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
envy x-360 4BQ07UA#ABL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I try to start Safe Mode via option 5 (Safe Mode with Networking) I do not get any network functionality. In the System Tray the network icon has a red X on it and by hovering over it I get the message "No connections are available". Trying to run Network Diagnostics returns the message "Network Diagnostics are not available in Safe Mode". The Speaker icon in the System Tray also has a red X on it and hovering over it I get the message "No Audio Output is installed". Please provide guidance on resolving both these symptoms.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Phab

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. 

I reviewed the case regarding issues with the computer network issues. I will be delighted to assist you here.  

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 😉 

Follow these links 1 and 2 and install the audio and network driver.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your interest in my case. Just to be very clear I do not experience any crashes. My problem is no network functionality when I start in Safe Mode with Networking. When I start normally I have full network functionality and full audio functionality. Does your prescription to install audio & network drivers still stand?

HP Recommended

@Phab

Thanks for the response.

Just wanted to know why you want to run the computer in safe mode with networking? What seems to be the issue.

Please let me know the issue in detail to assist you with relevant steps.

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The reason for trying Safe Mode is to troubleshoot why, sometimes the process Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation is continuously using 25-30% of the CPU. This may happen even if I am not using a sound application. I have seen other posts on this topic where the "solution" was rolling back the Realtek driver. FYI, mine is at 6.0.1.8522. The sound & mic work fine for various audio-related applications like QuickTime, WIndowsMediaPLayer, Zoom conference, Spotify. When I start any of these audio-related applications Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation starts up and uses less than 1% of the CPU and when I close the application Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation also shuts down. It seems that Skype is an important clue. When I start Skype (ver 8.35.0.76), Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation (ver. 10.0.17134.471) starts up and takes ~50% of the CPU continuously. Closing Skype does not end Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation. Then, starting Skype a second or third time, Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation takes 25% of the CPU continuously. Closing Skype still does not end Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation, I have to End Process in Task Manager. FYI, someone suggested lowering the Skype App's priority in Task Manager but I have not done it; it is currently at Normal. Someone then suggested trying to start in Safe Mode but, to use Skype, I need to start in Safe Mode with Networking and that's when I discovered that choosing Safe Mode with Networking gets me into Safe Mode but no networking functionality. Appreciate your interest in this case and look forward to any suggestions.

HP Recommended

@Phab

Thanks for the response.

If that's the case, I recommend you to perform a complete recovery but make sure to take a back up before you try it. 🙂

Follow this link.

Keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is the prescription intended for solving the Safe Mode with Networking malfunction or the Windows Audio … process misbehaving with Skype problem? Doing a complete restore is a big job starting with upgrade to Win_10-pro plus I have many applications installed, several with licenses. PC works fine otherwise. Thx. 

HP Recommended

@Phab

Thanks for the response.

If the internet work's fine in the regular mode, and not in the safe mode with networking, it look's like an issue with the operating system files, which could get fixed, if we re-install the same.

If you are ready for it, please take a back up of all the data and let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I actually have only a tiny amount of data on my PC; it is primarily  either on the company network or in cloud storage. I have never done a Restore so want to better understand what that process does. Does is erase my HD and “retore” it to when the PC was new? Does that mean I have to reinstall & reregister all my applications? The PC originally came with Win-10 and I upgrade to Win-10-Pro. How will Reatore affect the OS? Just trying to be careful and not create a bigger problem than I currently have! Thx for your patience. 

HP Recommended

@Phab

Thanks for the reply.

I see that you've upgraded to windows 10 pro. Is it a retail version? How did you upgraded it. If it is a retail version and if you have the installation disc for it, then you can use them and re-install it, and once done you can re-isntall all the other applications as well.

Keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.