Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a problem that I've seen from several other users, but I can't find an answer, and no other suggestions I've found elsewhere online are working. 

My Spectre x360 is no longer charging. I get the message of "plugge in, not charging." I have checked everything and nothing is helping. I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro.

The unit is 1.5 years old, this has never happened. Happened all of a sudden yesterday. HELP!!!!!!

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi @bradwsmith19

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concern and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

Saw your post and I understand that you are getting plugged in not charging error on the computer.

I’d love to help!

Follow the steps to resolve this issue.

Step 01. Click on the Start Button

Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager

Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left

Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall

Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook

Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter

Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute

Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter

Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

After performing all the steps if you are facing the same issue still, please perform three more steps:

1.Run a Battery Check in HP Support Assistant [Install the Software if it's not available]

Note: Replace the Battery If Health Check Status shows Replace

2. Update the latest BIOS for your Notebook from HP Support Site

3. Please check your Notebook with a known good Power Adapter & Battery from a different Notebook

If a known good battery is also not charging I recommend you to contact phone support.

Step 1. Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your

contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone

number

Let me know how it goes and you have a good day ahead.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This part worked for me!!

@The_Fossette wrote:
Follow the steps to resolve this issue.

Step 01. Click on the Start Button

Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager

Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left

Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall

Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook

Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter

Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute

Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter

Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

HP Recommended

How do you remove the battery from a Spectre x360? There is no access point on mine.

HP Recommended

I have a two month old Spectre x360 13-ac0xx with a Pluggable USB-C Docking Station.  The "plugged in not charging message" has come up two times.  Both times I rebooted the docking station and all was well again. Not sure what would cause the error message if you don't have a docking station. Hope this is of some help.

Georgebee

HP Recommended

You're correct. The x360 does not have an easily removable battery (we would have to open the unit and void the warranty). I was able to follow these instructions without removing the battery. I let my computer get down to about '7%, not charging', then followed the instructions above. When it came time to remove the battery, I just pulled the plug from the power-in port, then waited for the tiny white led (next to the power-in port) to stop flashing. Eventually it did. I then held down the power switch, and the light started flashing again. I waited for it to stop flashing then held down the power switch for an additional 90 seconds or so. Then I plugged the power back in and restarted the computer. It's now charging again, with the expected message. We'll see how it goes ... hope this helps others.

HP Recommended
Hello!
I did all of the above and indeed got a "plugged in, charging" note, but my laptop is still not charging... I do not know what to do 😕 8% now
HP Recommended

I had this problem. Another thread suggested updating the bios, which I did.  My flickering light is gone and my computer is charging.

HP Recommended

One fix (this may not be the only one) is simple:  replace the standard 45W charger with a new 65W charger, the latter available from a variety of manufacturers on Amazon for around $20.  This fixed the problem, which appeared out of the blue, on my 2 yr old HP Spectre x360.   No battery change, no software change, just plug in the new higher power brick.

This, of course, begs the larger question of what exactly is going on?   It would be great if anyone from HP monitoring this forum would explain:  is this a hardware problem that appears as the machine gradually becomes less efficient (e.g., the fan bearings wear) over time, an HP firmware problem (couldn't you have come up with a clearer error message?), a Windows problem (is Microsoft generating this useless message based on some signal from the hw/fw), or something else?  Perhaps HP just engineered this otherwise excellent machine with power tolerances a bit too tight?

HP Recommended

My spectre x360 had the same problem, (not charging; the battery light slow flashing in white). 

A conventional shutdown and long press of the power switch were all that was needed to fix.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.