Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17 e040us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I’ve been having this issue for about half a day, in the morning my laptop was running fine on google chrome, but after updating attempting to update a game my laptop started acting up. I tried to load google but it would give me an error saying “This site can’t provide a secure connection” I ran Windows diagnostics which gave me the “This remote device or resource won’t accept the connection”  I’ve tried everything that I was able to find online to fix the problem, I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled google, restarted my laptop a couple of times, even did a factory reset and wiped all the files n such, but still the same issue appears. Microsoft Edge can load up any sites fine  it’s just google chrome, and I know it isn’t a WiFi issue for the most part considering my desktop can run google chrome without any of these issues. At this point I’m unsure of what I can do now. If anyone has answer please help. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@y2_ There are a few solutions available for this concern, let's work on fixing this once and for all:

Solution 1: Disabling Proxy Settings

If you use proxy settings for your work or university, it is possible that this is causing the issue. Proxy settings provide another path for the internet to work. This implementation is mainly done in institutions or workplaces who don’t allow full internet access or monitor it. You can try disabling the proxy server, get a working internet connection without proxy and check if this solves our case.

1. Press Windows + S to launch the search bar of your start. Type “proxy” in the dialogue box and select the first result which comes forth.
  2. Press LAN Settings button present at the near end of the window.
  3. Uncheck the box which says “Use a proxy server for your LAN”. Press Ok to save changes and exit.
  4. Now check if the problem got fixed.

Solution 2: Resetting IE Settings

Another solution which worked for many people was resetting the IE settings. It is possible that the internet explorer settings are not configured properly and this might be causing the issue at hand. Backup your bookmarks and other settings as they might be lost in this solution.

1. Now, will reset internet explorer’s settings to make sure that the problem doesn’t occur due to any bad configurations. Press Windows + R, type “inetcpl.cpl” and press Enter.
  2. Once in internet options, navigate to the advanced tab. Click “Reset” present at the near bottom of the screen.
  3. Check the option “Delete personal settings” when the new window comes forth. Click “Reset”.
    Note: This action will reset the internet explorer. All your add-ons will be disabled and all your home pages will be reset. Proceed at your own risk.
  4. Now restart your computer and check if this made any difference.

Solution 3: Disabling Antivirus Software, Firewall, and Content Blockers

We can try disabling your Firewall and check if the problem gets solved. Windows Firewall monitors your incoming and outgoing internet data and packets. It also blocks some connections or some applications from installation if they don’t fulfill its criteria. You should also disable any antivirus software which is enabled on your computer. Furthermore, disable content blockers of any kind. Numerous reports indicated that they were the source of the problem too.

1. Press Windows + R button to bring up the Run application. In the dialogue box type “control panel”. This will open your computer’s control panel in front of you.
  2. In the top right there will be a dialogue box to search. Write firewall and click on the first option that comes as a result.
  3. Now at the left side, click the option which says “Turn Windows firewall on or off”. Through this, you can turn your firewall off easily.
  4. Select the option of “Turn off Windows Firewall” on both the tabs, Public and Private Networks. Save changes and exit. Restart your computer and check if the problem gets resolved.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.