Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-f211wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgraded the wi-fi card that originally came in my laptop (RTL8188EE) to a Broadcom BCM943142HMBPFZH_2 to add BT connectivity.  What wi-fi card will fit in this laptop that will allow for 5GHz wi-fi and keep BT connectivity?  Is there something outside of those listed in the manual that I could make fit and that would work?  

Thanks in advance.

Hemibat

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@hemibat Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you would like to upgrade the wifi card.

(HP does not recommend upgrades as the device is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance and also, the upgradeable parts listed in HP articles are purely for your ease, though the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion)

A few things to remember are mentioned below: 

The compatibility of your router with the wireless card, 

If the wireless card is 1x1: supports 2.4 GHz and below - slow connection and download/upload speed, 

If it's 2x2 or more: support 5 GHz and above - Fast connected and speed. 

Here are your Product specifications: Click here for details. 

I have checked the manual ( page number 2 chapter 1)

Your laptop Support for the following WLAN formats:

● Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi adapter

● Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi adapter

● Realtek RT8723BE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi+BT 4.0 Combo Adapter

● Broadcom BCM43142 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT 4.0 HMC Combo Adapter

I would suggest you purchase the external wifi adapter. It may work 5G.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

HP may not recommend this upgrade, but I do.

For those who are interested, the wireless card can be upgraded with an Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3160.  The card is a 1x1 and drops right in.  On reboot windows 10 finds the drivers and handles all the heavy lifting.  2.4GHz, 5 GHz, and Bluetooth are all there.

No need for external adapters and no hardware conflicts for the four days this has been up and running.  And to answer the question, there are no comparability issues with my router and the wireless card.  My router is a Netgear Nighthawk X6.  The new performance from the Intel card has been flawless.  

Thanks,

Hemibat!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.