Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Upgrade from 2.4 GHz band to dual 2.4 and 5 GHz band + Blutooth wifi card.

HP Recommended
HP ENVY TS 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I own an HP ENVY TS 17 Notebook PC (E8A11UA#TBA) running Windows 10 Home addition. I wish to upgrade my wifi card (Intel N 2230) to a dual band (2.4/5 GHz), + blutooth card.  Will my computer support such an upgrade?  If so, are there any recommendations?  I have looked at several possible card upgrades,  but all have, a different concact order on the male end, compared to my present one. Is this an important aspect? Finally, I am using Comcast's Arris TG1682G, modem/router for my network.
Your advice would be much appreciated. Regards,
billcraven94542

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,633 9,540 770 3,546
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @billcraven94542 

Welcome !

Any internal upgrade of a wi-fi adapter would be more difficult to complete and for sure more expensive. Such upgrade may require that you open the device and might void your warranty. I do not recommend that you do it. Your device has a wi-fi adatper of 802.11ac standard which supports 5Ghz only. If you want to use something with 2.4 Ghz, as well, just get another one - as simple as that 🙂

The easiest and cheaper workaround I can offer to you is to use an external USB device / USB Wi-Fi adapter similar to these listed here >> https://www.amazon.com/wi-fi-dongles/b?ie=UTF8&node=13983791

Prices start from as low as 10 USD.

It's plug and play - you just insert it and it will work. When using the external USB one, you may want to temporary disable the built-in card from Control Panel -> Network and Sharing center -> Change adapter settings

Hope this works for you.

Your feedback and update are important.
Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks

I work for HP Inc. *** I express personal opinion only and do not speak for HP *** My location: Europe *** Volunteer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

IT....

Thanks for responding to my  question so quickly.

My plan has been to purchase a new card. They do not appear to be too expensive or too difficult to install. My main concern is making the correct purchase. My computer manual includes this one as an upgrade:  HP replacement number 717384-001.  I have searched further and given another part number :  710662-001. Are either, or both, of these compatible with my machine and have the features I am looking for?

Hope you can help me out.

Thank you.

Billcraven94542

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
118,682 108,862 17,297 26,450
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, @billcraven94542 

Yes, the Intel 7260 AC card will work just fine in your notebook...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

Part # 717384 is the Intel 7260 dual band N model.  You'd be better off with the AC model.

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation