Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, hope everyone is keeping safe & well!

Could any expert here, advise me please?

I have a HP Envy 17-N107na laptop.

It has currently got a 'sporadic' working Intel 7265ngw wifi / bluetooth combi card installed!

I would like to, if possible, upgrade this card to another Intel card.

I recently tried an Intel AX210ngw wifi card & my laptop didn't like it, on startup, stating it was not supported.....ggrrrr

Is this the highest spec wifi card the laptop would accept.....or is it still upgradeable?

Any good advice here, would be gladly appreciated!

Thanks for reading!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, HP does not release any info regarding BIOS whitelists.

It may depend on what model AX 210 card you installed.  If it was a vPro model, those won't work.

Chapter 3 of the service manual shows that the Intel 7265 was the best card HP offered in the model series.

HP ENVY NotebookIntel Models 17-n100 17-n1993D camera Models 17-r100 17-r199 (worldwide)3D camera Mo...

If you want to take a gamble on a different model wifi card, then I recommend you try this one...

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro   HP part # L35282-005

HP Parts Store - HP Computer Parts - HP Printer Parts - Compaq Parts

If that one doesn't work either, then your PC must have a BIOS whitelist which prevents the installation of any wifi card not listed in the service manual from working.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, HP does not release any info regarding BIOS whitelists.

It may depend on what model AX 210 card you installed.  If it was a vPro model, those won't work.

Chapter 3 of the service manual shows that the Intel 7265 was the best card HP offered in the model series.

HP ENVY NotebookIntel Models 17-n100 17-n1993D camera Models 17-r100 17-r199 (worldwide)3D camera Mo...

If you want to take a gamble on a different model wifi card, then I recommend you try this one...

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro   HP part # L35282-005

HP Parts Store - HP Computer Parts - HP Printer Parts - Compaq Parts

If that one doesn't work either, then your PC must have a BIOS whitelist which prevents the installation of any wifi card not listed in the service manual from working.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Apologies for the delayed reply.

Thanks for your time, input & reply.

I will try the card you mentioned!

When I eventually get it & install - I will let you know if it works!

Thankyou

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Saw your post and just wondered if you installed the new card and if it worked for you or not? I've got a great laptop and just need to upgrade the network card. Look forward to hearing from you.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Apologies for the very slow reply.

Just a quick update, the cards you recommended, on install, wouldn't let my laptop boot up.

I tried both the AX200 &  AX210 WiFi card....both non-VPro versions!

So it looks like, yes, the BIOS is whitelisted.

I am now using a D-Link DWA-181 USB adapter instead.....& seems to be working ok....albeit speeds "jumping up & down"....but it doing it's job.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Take care!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply!

See my reply to the IT expert - Paul.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi:

Sorry that neither wifi card worked for you.

Thanks for letting us know.

It will help others in the future who are looking to upgrade the wifi card in that model series, not to try it.

Best Regards,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.