Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 3835
Other

I live in a bus.  I have been using an iPhone 5S hotspot to network my 2 computers and my HP 3835 All in One printer for about a year.  I can have up to 5 devices on my hotspot and used to scan to computer and print from all devices.  Recently I upgraded to an iPhone 8.  I reset the network settings on everything, as instructed.  Using the Printer Setup Wizard, I searched for my iPhone network.  The printer found the network and asked me to enter the password.  I entered the password and then, after a long wait, the printer  told me it cannot connect.  It found the network, but would not connect to it.

I printed a report and it told me  that i must add the MAC address of the printer to "the router", but it is not a router, it is an iPhone personal hotspot and I cannot find any way to add a MAC address in the iOS.

I cannot find a work around for this, I have been trying for days.  I used to be able to do everything on my old (now broken) iPhone 5S.  Now I can't do anything.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@UkeBandito

The same WiFi Direct option should help you scan. Connect the printer and the computer using WiFi Direct and try scanning.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@UkeBandito, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you are trying to connect the printer using a mobile hotspot. We cannot guarantee the hotspot connectivity will work.

Instead, you can try an alternate way of printing and here is how you can do it-

Connect your Apple device directly to the printer with Wi-Fi Direct or HP wireless direct.

NOTE: 

The following steps temporarily disconnect your Apple device from the Internet. If you are printing web-based content such as emails, webpages, or cloud-based documents, open them before proceeding.

1. Make sure the printer is turned on, ink cartridges are installed, and plain paper is loaded in the main tray.

2. On your Apple iOS device, tap Settings, and then tap Wi-Fi.

3. Under the Choose a network menu, select your printer with DIRECT in the name.

4. If prompted for a password, type 12345678. This is the default password to log in.

5. Open the document, photo, email, or webpage you want to print, and then tap the Share icon  or  .

6. Tap Print or the Print icon  to open Printer Options.

7. Tap Select Printer to select your printer.

8. Reconnect to your local Wi-Fi network after the print job completes.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am not trying to print.  I am trying to "Scan to Computer".  Do you have a work around for that when it won't recognize my wifi??

HP Recommended

@UkeBandito

The same WiFi Direct option should help you scan. Connect the printer and the computer using WiFi Direct and try scanning.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, that works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.