Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having some wifi problems and want to make sure that I have the latest driver.  The current driver I have is an Intel driver dated 3\22\16 for the dual band Wireless AC3160 card.  I went onto the HP site for drivers and it selected my PC correctly and it shows 4 network drivers only 1 for Intel and that one is for bluetooth and Realtek drivers (2 of which are for wifi).  Please tell me how I get the correct driver (see attached for info from HP site).

HP Network Drivers.jpg

HP ENVY 15t Quad TouchSmart
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Inside the driver file are the drivers for various model wireless cards, including the one your notebook has.

While the latest version is 19.30.0.4, apparently Intel is only supporting your model wlan card up to 18.33.51, so the installer doesn't install the latest version available, because your model is not supported for the latest version.

Let me put it an easier way perhaps...

Let's say you didn't have a wireless driver installed at all for your AC 3160, and posted a question...I need a driver for this card, and I want the latest one.  Where can I find the latest driver for this card? ...And I posted the driver I posted last night.

The driver would have installed version 18.33.51 for your card, and not 19.30.0.4.

If Intel supported the 3160 for the latest driver, then it would have installed the latest driver (19.30.0.4).

Unfortunately I would have no idea what version would be installed for each model wlan card supported by the driver package.

Now you can run the Intel driver update utility as the other forum member suggested and see if it gives you an updated driver...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is the latest W10 driver HP has for the Intel 3160 AC card...

This package contains the drivers for the supported Intel Wireless LAN adapters. This package is provided for supported notebook models running a supported operating system. 

19.30.0.4 Rev.P (8 Feb 2017)

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

DEVICES SUPPORTED:
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78501-79000/sp78857.exe

HP Recommended

Thank you for the driver but I still have issues which I hope you can help me with.

1) Why didn't the driver show when I looked on the HP site?

2) How did you find the driver on the HP site?

3) I installed the driver and it said it was successful but yet the version number of the driver is still showing 18.33.51 (even after I rebooted) even though version 19. was what you provided, so please help me further

HP Recommended

hellow,

simply go to intels website and install intel driver update utility and after installation search for latest drivers and update.

this will solve the issue and if not feel free to contact. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since I don't work for, or represent HP, I can't answer your first question.

I found the driver by going to the business PC support website, and looked up a business notebook that has similar hardware as yours, and then looked up the latest Intel wlan driver.

The business support site keeps the drivers updated more frequently (which is probably why business notebooks generally cost more than an equivalent consumer model).

The reason the driver didn't update is probably because Intel only supports the AC 3160 up to the version you have now, or it would have updated your current driver to a newer version.

That driver is a 'one size fits all' type of package, and contains multiple driver versions for multiple model wlan cards.

The one you have is the oldest card listed that is supported by the driver package.

No doubt, the newest card listed (the 8265) does update to the driver version listed on the file.

But now you know for sure that you have the latest driver installed.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the explanations. 

I do not understand your statement that the driver I currently have installed is the latest that intel supports when the driver that you sent me says that it is for my card, can you explain that again?

HP Recommended

Inside the driver file are the drivers for various model wireless cards, including the one your notebook has.

While the latest version is 19.30.0.4, apparently Intel is only supporting your model wlan card up to 18.33.51, so the installer doesn't install the latest version available, because your model is not supported for the latest version.

Let me put it an easier way perhaps...

Let's say you didn't have a wireless driver installed at all for your AC 3160, and posted a question...I need a driver for this card, and I want the latest one.  Where can I find the latest driver for this card? ...And I posted the driver I posted last night.

The driver would have installed version 18.33.51 for your card, and not 19.30.0.4.

If Intel supported the 3160 for the latest driver, then it would have installed the latest driver (19.30.0.4).

Unfortunately I would have no idea what version would be installed for each model wlan card supported by the driver package.

Now you can run the Intel driver update utility as the other forum member suggested and see if it gives you an updated driver...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  Essentially the driver package has multiple versions in the package and installs the latest supported driver for the card that is installed.  Now I understand

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is correct.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.