Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Laptop 15-cw1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Getting weak wifi signal from the router.

All other devices in the house, multiple iPhones, iMacs, and other HP computers have no issues connecting to the network.  I am constantly getting "weak signal" alerts and can see the signal strength fluttering in the icon by the clock.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @FarAdvance4

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Try the steps below to resolve the issue-

* Right-click on START --> Run
* Type "services.msc" --> OK
* Get to the Standard tab at the bottom of the window and search for WLAN AutoConfig --> Right click --> STOP

* Restart the computer

once done, if the issue persists, try the below

* Right-click on START --> Device manager
* Expand the Network Adapter
* Right-click on wireless driver --> properties
* Advanced tab --> Roaming Aggressiveness from the list of "property" and change the value to Highest

restart the computer after.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hi Jay, thanks for responding back.

I tried both of these and am still getting the same results.

I even tried with my mobile hotspot from my phone and the internet is having the same issue.  While it's a stronger signal displayed for my phone, the disconnection/lag is the same as with the router in our house.

HP Recommended

Try the steps below -

Step 1 Network Troubleshooter -

1) In the search box, type and open "Troubleshooter".

2) Click on "Network and Internet".

3) Click on "Internet Connections". 

Step 2 Run Network commands -

1) In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.

2) At the command prompt, run the following commands in the listed order, and then check to see if that fixes your connection problem:

Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.

Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.

Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.

Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.

Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Step 3 Re-install the Network Adapter -

1) In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.

2) In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name.

3) Right-click on the network adapter, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.

4) Restart the computer. 

Also, try the steps from the document  -Wireless Network and Internet Troubleshooting

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Jay,

Thank you for the continued help.  Uninstalling the device and rebooting seems to work, but then the issue returns after a short while (60ish minutes).

Here is the result from a ping I ran against www.google.com

For the most part it looks fine, it's just that there are these double/triple/quadruple high spikes in the ping lengths.  I have run the same from other devices on the network and while the other devices do occasionally have spikes, they are not nearly as drastic or frequent as shown here.

HP Recommended

@FarAdvance4

Thank you for posting back 

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8. (do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. If the issue persists, follow the next steps.

Uninstall a Network Adapter Driver in Windows 10:

1. Click the Windows icon in the bottom left corner of the screen, and type Device Manager into the Search bar.
  2. The Device Manager should appear. ...
  3. Right-click the network adapter, and click Uninstall.
  4. The program will confirm the uninstall.

Most notebook computers have a button or keyboard key to turn the wireless signal on and off. Check the button or key status to confirm if the wireless signal is on.

• Locate the wireless key or button. This could be an image of an airplane or a wireless signal.

Button or key

Description

A standalone button with an airplane. This enables or disables “airplane mode” and turns off wireless and Bluetooth on the device.

F12 key with an airplane. This enables or disables “airplane mode” and turns off wireless and Bluetooth on the device.

F12 key with wireless icon and LED. This enables or disables "wireless mode." The LED illuminates in white or blue if active, and amber if wireless is turned off.

A standalone wireless button. This is typically located above or near the keyboard.

1. Press the button once, wait 10 seconds, and then observe any changes to the wireless connection icon in the notification area and to the LED light on the wireless button or key.
    • If the button or key does not have a light, hover your mouse over the wireless connection icon in the notification area of the taskbar to see the current connection status.
    • If the wireless signal is turned on, try connecting to the Internet again.
    • If the wireless signal is turned off, press the button or key again to turn it back on, and then try connecting to the Internet again.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo Lake,

Thanks for writing back.  

I tried all the steps in your walkthroughs, resetting the BIOS, etc and I still have connectivity issues from my wifi card in the computer.

Do you have any other recommendations? 

Is this card just poor quality and does this?  I've seen multiple reports online while searching that this computer has issues connecting/staying connected to wifi signals.

Thanks again for responding.

HP Recommended

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Hi Jay.

I'm not having issues running through the steps that were presented, I'm just not seeing any improvement or change in the wifi card's ability to maintain a stable connection.

I purchased the computer in October 2019, so I would hope that it's still under warranty.

PM sent.

HP Recommended

I have sent you a private message with the details you may require.

Please reach the phone support team.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.