Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProBook 650 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP ProBook 650 G1 it running window 10 64bit I5 processor and the problem I'm having is with the built in Bluetooth, I open up the Bluetooth settings and try searching for my devices but instead of searching for devices it tells me 'could not connect' I have troubleshooted the Bluetooth via the control panel troubleshooter and that tells me 'device does not have Bluetooth, I'm confused as it has the whole Bluetooth menu it even allows me to troubleshoot the Bluetooth ? I have checked in the device manager and I cant see anything to do with Bluetooth, am I missing something? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Glad the former owners were able to do that for you.

You can reinstall W10 Pro for free.

Make a bootable W10 installer using the Media creation tool from the link below.  Make the 64 bit installation media.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

You should be asked what version of W10 you want to install when you go through the installation script.

Select W10 Pro 64 bit.

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate after you are connected to the internet.

Then you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP ProBook 650 G1 Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

Not all 650 G1's came with Bluetooth.

What model wifi adapter does your notebook have?

The model wifi adapter will determine if your notebook has the Bluetooth hardware.

If you don't know what model wifi adapter your notebook has, go to the device manager, click to expand the Network adapters device manager category, and there you will find the name and model number of the wireless Network adapter.

Windows has Bluetooth software included regardless of whether or not the bluetooth hardware is present.

It's been that way at least since Windows XP came out.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response I followed your instructions and can confirm it has the following:

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2x2 WIFI adapter #2

If the  WIFI adapter doesn't support or have Bluetooth is it possible to be added/fitted?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, that is a dual band wifi card with Bluetooth.

So...first go into your notebook's BIOS and confirm that the Bluetooth is present and enabled.

If the Bluetooth is present and enabled, it is very possible your notebook originally came with W8/8.1 with downgrade rights to W7 Pro and was upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro.

During the upgrade, most likely the Bluetooth was turned off with the connection manager software.

That software only works on W7 and older versions of Windows.

This is the easiest way I know of to activate the Bluetooth again in W10 under the above scenario...

Make a bootable Ubuntu installer.

Boot from the Ubuntu installer, and select the option to 'Try Ubuntu without installing."

Turn on the Bluetooth in Ubuntu.   Shut down the PC, remove the installer, turn on the PC and when you get back into Windows, W10 will install the Bluetooth driver and the Bluetooth should work again.

Ubuntu download link...you want the desktop version.

https://ubuntu.com/download

Tutorial for how to make the file bootable...

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

If W10 does not install the Bluetooth driver, you can install it from the link below...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75001-75500/sp75330.exe

HP Recommended

Yes it does have a 'windows 8' sticker on the underside of the laptop so I assume your right about the upgrading to windows 10,also I just tried to access the bios and its asking for a password? is there a default password or has it been set by someone? is there a way around this? 

HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook has a BIOS P/W there is no way to clear it.

You would need to buy a new motherboard that had no P/W on it.

So, assume the BT is enabled in the BIOS and try the Ubuntu thing and hopefully it will work regardless.

If not, then that's that.

Here is HP's policy regarding assistance with BIOS passwords...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06368824

HP Recommended

Right..abit of an update,i managed to trace down the company/business that owned the laptop from new and they confirmed it was one of theirs in the past and if i sent the laptop to their IT department they would be able to remove the bios password,wipe the hdd and send it back to me,so i sent the laptop to them and recieved it today and they have removed the bios password i can access the bios menu and settings now,the only issue now is as they wiped the hdd il need to instal the OS again which i have no idea what to do as i dont even have the original serial key to the windows that was installed previously,do i re install the original windows 8 pro it came from new with or do i install the windows 10 pro that it came with when i purchased it?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Glad the former owners were able to do that for you.

You can reinstall W10 Pro for free.

Make a bootable W10 installer using the Media creation tool from the link below.  Make the 64 bit installation media.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

You should be asked what version of W10 you want to install when you go through the installation script.

Select W10 Pro 64 bit.

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate after you are connected to the internet.

Then you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP ProBook 650 G1 Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thank you ever so much for the help! iv managed to sort the laptop out now, its bios password free with a fresh new download of windows just doing the driver updates as I reply.. Thank you for all your help I appreciate it

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.